Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Jerry (Gasoline leaking @ carb bowl)

03-27-07, 08:45 AM   #1  
Jerry (Gasoline leaking @ carb bowl)

I was wandering if I could get some help with a Honda sx HR214 lawnmower.
This is an older honda that I bought brand new.
Myproblem is a gas leak from the bowl area on the carb. I replaced the needle valve in the carb, the float is boyant (?) and the black rubber seal is present and in place. The mower runs very well, idles and chokes. The only problem I have is gasoline leaks from apparent bowl to carb body. I have had the carb off several times, only to reassemble it and find a fuel leak. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am at my wits end.
Should I buy a new fuel bowl, gasket, or what else am I missing.
Thanks to any and all responding to my inabilities to find this leaky carb.

Last edited by Jruss; 03-27-07 at 09:17 AM. Reason: change

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

03-27-07, 08:57 AM   #2  
Azis
The float may still be leaking even tho it floats. Shake it next to your ear and listen for sloshing.
I think these carbs also have a machined seat for the needle valve, and if damaged or distorted, the carb may need replaced.
The gaskets are meant to keep fuel from leaking only in the event of uneven operation. Its most likely that fuel has run through your intake and into your crankcase oil sump. Check your oil for overfull and smell of gas. The engine should not be ran with the oil diluted by fuel.
When working on this sort of problem, I find it very usefull to bench test the carb. A 6" to 12" piece of clear fuel line can be used on the fuel inlet, and a small beaker or something to pour gas into the line. Fill the line untill the level is stationary, then observe for leaks. This will save oil changes or chances of running the engine with diluted oil.

03-27-07, 09:21 AM   #3  
Az

Posted By: Azis The float may still be leaking even tho it floats. Shake it next to your ear and listen for sloshing.
I think these carbs also have a machined seat for the needle valve, and if damaged or distorted, the carb may need replaced.
The gaskets are meant to keep fuel from leaking only in the event of uneven operation. Its most likely that fuel has run through your intake and into your crankcase oil sump. Check your oil for overfull and smell of gas. The engine should not be ran with the oil diluted by fuel.
When working on this sort of problem, I find it very usefull to bench test the carb. A 6" to 12" piece of clear fuel line can be used on the fuel inlet, and a small beaker or something to pour gas into the line. Fill the line untill the level is stationary, then observe for leaks. This will save oil changes or chances of running the engine with diluted oil.
Will do Az, Ty will test and back to you

03-27-07, 02:27 PM   #4  
Az

Thank you for responding to my call for help.
I checked the oil and sure enough it was high. I drained and refilled.
I checked the needle valve. I am not sure how I oriented the float, Looks like it could go in upside down. Which way does it go. The pin will go thru either way. I had to leave before I could look at it. Its even a hard question to ask. Az I do appreciate your help !

Thanks

Jerry Russell
Indianapolis. (Greenwood) In.

Visiting Guest

03-27-07, 02:47 PM   #5  
Azis
The head of the needle valve should fit in some type of groove on the float. It should only fit one way and this will only allow the float to be installed one way. If the bowl wont go on its prolly not right

03-27-07, 06:11 PM   #6  
Leaky carb

Az,

Thanks again, I smell like gas .......

The needle valve is working, at least until I put the bowl on and re-install the carb. When I turn the gas on the bowl fills up and spills over the body of the carb. I don't think it is the gas supply line. although I can't see it once I put everything back togather. If it is spraying gas it only does it when the bowl fills up. I can hold the needle valve in place and I can't blow thru the gas line on the carb. When I release the valve I am able to blow through the line. It dosen't make sense to me Az. I will post with you in the AM. If you can think of anything .

Thanks a bunch

Jerry R.

TX

03-28-07, 04:45 AM   #7  
Bowl Vent

Make sure the vent to the fuel bowl is not plugged. If it is restricted, it will not allow the air in the bowl to be displaced as it fills up, the atmospheric pressure will hold the float down and allow fuel to flow through the carburetor.

Good Luck

03-28-07, 09:06 AM   #8  
fuel vent

Tech,

Where is the vent to the fuel bowl ? I still have a leak. Needle valve looks good. Fuel build up in the bowl and ( if you look very carefully you can see it kida sheeting down the side of the carb body) Very minute but it will accumilate on the mower deck. Float looks good, travel of needle valve looks good. Large o ring seal (1 1'2 " ) at the top of the carb body is tucked & present. Gas line is secure.
Can you tell be what the small "O" rubber ring goes to. Maybe this is my problem. It is about 1/4 - 3/8 O ring. Thank you for your reponse, nothing seems to work here. The engine runs perfect except for the gas seepage.
This is a Hona HR 214 SX. Hate to give it up for a small problem like this.
Perplexed in Indy.

Thanks again

Jerry R.

Visiting Guest

03-28-07, 12:11 PM   #9  
Azis
From the drawing it looks like there is a screw, perhaps slotted, with a jet/vent or hole in it.
The IPL calls it a jet so that would be my guess since I cant recall from memory.

03-28-07, 12:37 PM   #10  
Carb prob

Az,

Where does the small "o" ring go. it is about 1/4 - 3/8 " . ?
Thanks again for the help.

It is running like new and does not leak while running. When I shut it off it sheets a very small amt of gas down the carb body, above the bowl. I have had it off so many times I can pull it in 2-3 min. ha.
got any Ideas Az, they would be welcome.

Thanks for the help

JR

TX

03-28-07, 06:44 PM   #11  
If it is not flooding into the throat of the carburetor then it probably is not a plugged bowl vent. I bet the float bowl itself is slightly bent at the bottom where the retaining screw goes, this can happen if the screw is tightened and the bowl is not centered over the bowl gasket. When this happens then the bowl does not seat tightly against the bowl gasket and will allow fuel to leak out .

Remove the bowl and inspect the bottom where the screw goes in, it should not be bent inwards at all, if it is you can try to straighten it with a punch and hammer, or replace it.

Good Luck...

Search this Thread