Tiller worth attempting?

Old 03-28-07, 01:02 PM
Tiller worth attempting?

Hello everyone. I am helping a neighbor with a tiller someone gave him because they didn't want to fool with finding parts. "Supposedly" that is the only problem. The motor is not locked up and the tiller looks fine.
Tiller info is as follows: Ariens model 901001 serial no. 002862 with motor: HH70-140027B serial no. 3312D
From my first glance I see the carb, spark plug, governor springs/assy, air cleaner assy, valve cover, and belts are missing. I do have the IPL for the motor and can find the parts ( I think) but the Ariens website doesn't go back far enough to list this tiller, only far enough to list the 901017 I think. I like to research before ordering parts so I guess I am asking if it is cost effective with all that is missing? Any way to check the tiller itself minus the motor?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-07, 03:00 PM
Sounds like you have a nice boat anchor there. I wouldn't be bothered fixing it up personally.

Old 03-31-07, 06:11 PM
Group Moderator
I'm glad backyardwonder said it first. Anything can be fixed if you want to throw enough money at it. My opinion is that for a small engine if you have to start a "list" of things missing It's not worth fixing.

Old 04-01-07, 09:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree, unless you can find the parts super cheap (used). Then, it's still a gamble. If you want to lower your risk, I'd inspect the engine internals, inspect the tiller gearbox and bearings, etc... and make double sure everything is in good condition before spending any more time and especially money on it.

Old 04-03-07, 07:05 AM
Thanks for the input everyone and believe me my feelings are not being hurt. When he first approached me about taking on this project he had found the carb new for $80. I went ahead and looked up the rest of the parts and it seems to get it completely functional "now" without really hunting for used parts he could buy a really good used one. It also concerned me the Ariens website didn't go back far enough to list this tiller for an IPL. Although it makes me sad to see a nice looking piece of equipment go to waste I told him last night it wasn't worth it.
Is there a way to check the tiller "function" and take the motor out of the equation? Maybe find him a used motor if the tiller part is in good shape?

Old 04-03-07, 10:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You can turn the pulley and wath the tiller operation. Also, try to move the shaft with the tines on it back and forth and rock it around to see if the bearings in the lower unit are shot. Check for play in the transmission.