Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

1986 Murray rider will not start

03-29-07, 09:56 PM   #1  
1986 Murray rider will not start

OK...here goes:

Yesterday my son had the old rider out for the first time this year. It ran fine. He came in to the house and told me there was something wrong with the blade belt. The new belt has been used maybe 4 times.I looked at it, and without warning, it appeared too "long", and would not engage the blades. This after working fine!
This morning, I found that the belt needed to be placed within the guides on each blade pulley. This did not fix the loose belt problem, but it helped some. Perhaps a tensioner pulley problem? The pulley will push in farther than the engage lever will stop at.
NOW....The mower started and ran yesterday (Wednesday). It would not start the next morning. No solenoid "click", no failing attempts to turn over...just pure silence. A test light shows that the battery does have current. The battery does not seem to accept a "jump" (someone told me you could do that). It's as if no voltage is getting to the starter.
Could it be that I inadvertently bumped a safety switch to the engage lever or deadman mechanism? I wouldn't know where to look except for a loosened connection. I have no mechanical skills, and no money to pay a repairman. I can, however, follow instructions<g>.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

03-30-07, 05:41 AM   #2  
Azis
It sounds like the belt is not routed correctly, at least not now, and that alone could cause the safety switch for the PTO not to be made preventing the starter from engaging.
If you can post the model #'s from your rider, we may be able to find a diagram for the belt routing. You should find a label or placard on the underside of the seat, under the seat or maybe on the rear fender.
If your PTO is a lever on the dash or such, make sure the lever is completely in the disengaged position, perhaps holding it even just long enough to see if the starter will try. If you can get it to do that then we know where ur at and can address the belt routing.

03-30-07, 08:24 AM   #3  
Hi

The model number is 38608B. Thanks for looking into this.

Visiting Guest

03-30-07, 09:20 AM   #4  
Azis
There should be no special routing. The idler pulley which puts tension on the belt when the lever is engaged, should run on the backside of the belt. Also make sure the belt is completely on both blade pulleys and the engine drive pulley. You may need to remove the belt guards to verify.

03-30-07, 10:02 AM   #5  
Got it!!

Azis,

I just removed the blade belt and reinstalled it, finding out that it was in a mess. I suspect my son tried to replace the belt in an attempt to help. The mower fired right up!!
Thanks for your good advice! I'd also like to share a resource that I found with some interested parties out there. www.outdoordistributors.com/Murray has some great pictorials and diagrams of Murray mowing decks. These could come in handy for guys that forgot how the belt went on<g>.

Thanks again,
Crimsonking

Search this Thread