Craftsman turns over but no start???

Old 03-29-07, 11:52 PM
Question Craftsman turns over but no start???

An elderly lady needs me to help her. She has a Craftsman about 16hp, 36 in. cut riding mower. It turns over, buy no start. She is on limited funds, and I'll like to help her out. She says she needs it to go one more season. I know to check the spark plugs for fire, I have a B&S small engine repair manual, but I doubt this craftsman has a B&S in it. Can someone tell me the steps I need to take to try to get it to start? How do I check the deadman switches, like on the seat and PTO? My wife has bragged to her about me being able to repair anything. Well, at least I'm glad she thinks I'm so capable. If I can get my hands on something that tells me how it's done, I can usually do it. Thanks, everyone. Larry

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-07, 05:49 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
There is a good chance that it is a briggs. Either way you will need to identify the engine and post the ID #'s. Under the seat you should find a label with the model # of the tractor if you can not find the engine #'s on the shroud.
First make sure there is gas in the tank
If so you can remove the air filter and try a few drops of gas in the carb and see if it will try to start.
If not, then check for spark.
Let us know what u find and we can go from there.

Old 03-30-07, 06:56 AM
Question

Thanks, Az, when you say check for spark, do you mean take out the spark plug, attach it to the plug wire, ground the base of the plug to the frame of the mower and turn the engine over and look for a spark?

Also, is there a link that explains tracking down kill switches in order to eliminate a bad switch? I have had this happen to me before, but can't remember how I did it. I have a volt meter. Thanks, Larry

PS: I know about checking for gasoline. There was a man once that I worked with that ask me to help him take his riding mower to the shop. I ask what was wrong. He said "don't know, it just quit." I said did you check the oil. A puzzled look crossed his face and he said "those things have oil in them!" True story.

Old 03-30-07, 07:07 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by LarryE44 View Post
check for spark, do you mean take out the spark plug, attach it to the plug wire, ground the base of the plug to the frame of the mower and turn the engine over and look for a spark?

A-Correct! However if you add some fuel to the carb and try as I mentioned, if it fires we will know that you have spark.

Also, is there a link that explains tracking down kill switches in order to eliminate a bad switch? I have had this happen to me before, but can't remember how I did it. I have a volt meter. Thanks, Larry

A- This can be addressed if needed, however if the engine will crank over, the switches are not likely at fault.

PS: I know about checking for gasoline. There was a man once that I worked with that ask me to help him take his riding mower to the shop. I ask what was wrong. He said "don't know, it just quit." I said did you check the oil. A puzzled look crossed his face and he said "those things have oil in them!" True story.
A-I would wager you could find a lifes worth of stories from the users of this forum