Experience w/Electric Mowers?

Old 03-30-07, 07:45 AM
Question Experience w/Electric Mowers?

Our gas powered Craftsman has died and it's time to get a new push mower. We know people that have had a Craftsman for years without issue, but we had non-stop problems with it. I'm reluctant to get another one. My husband is looking at other gas powered, self-propelled mowers, but I want to consider the cordless electric mowers (mainly for the environmental reasons). We have a very flat lawn. I'm not sure how big it is, but our whole lot is only .25 acre, so it's not huge. It's not really thick, but sometimes we'll miss a week and it'll get pretty long. His main concern is that the battery will die before he's done. Does anyone have any experience with using one? Are the concerns valid? Also, we live in Chicago and it's going to get pretty cold during the winter. Do we need to do anything special with it during the winter storage?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-07, 08:26 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
I can't say from experience but here is a good read for considering...
http://www.doityourself.com/stry/cordlesselectricmowe

My first thought would be the initial cost. Likely 3x for electric vs. the same gas powered. Maintenance costs (parts in particular) would also be more.

Old 03-30-07, 08:33 AM
Have you considered an electric mower with a cord? They are affordable, work well on a small lawn like yours, need minimal maintenance, have no expensive battery to go bad (and these batteries are nasty to the environment when discarded), and are light weight to push. The only thing is manipulating the cord while cutting the grass so you don't cut the cord, but I've used them and it's easy to learn how to cut the grass and avoid the cord.

Old 03-30-07, 08:41 AM
First of all it should be understood that your Craftsman mower was not made by Sears.Sears actually does not manufacture anything and their mowers are likely made by either MTD or Murray or another of the several manufacturers of various private label and store branded mowers and small engine equipment.Don't assume that another Craftsman product will give you bad results.Most MTD and Murray products if properly maintained and cared for will perform well.

A cordless mower may work out for you.Your yard size etc is within the range of these machines.Each choice has pros and cons and different specs so I suggest you shop for them at businesses that offer qualified help to assist you in making the best choice.

That means avoid big box and chain stores.Shopping at hardware stores and small engine equipment retailers may cost you slightly more but you will get knowledgeable help and good service.Depending on the brand and/or model you choose,there actually may be franchise agreements that prohibit price reductions and some big box stores only sell versions of product specifically manufactured to meet lower price points.

Old 03-30-07, 06:25 PM
Another thing to think about, Every time we plug in an "environment friendly" electric lawnmower, car, etc, The energy has to come from somewhere. They have to power up generating stations with coal, Natural Gas, or a Nuke. This whole "Enviroment Friendly" electric thing is just a case of making People feel good about making pollution somewhere else. If you don't make it in the back yard with you're gas lawnmower, It's made somewhere else. Think about it for a while?? Give me a gasser, 'cus at least I can make it run clean

Old 03-31-07, 01:19 PM
I have an old Huffy electric that works well if the grass doesn't get too high, but I don't use it all the time. It doesn't have any safety features...