Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Need to buy two new walk behind mowers. Must be cheap.

MD

03-30-07, 07:45 PM   #1  
Need to buy two new walk behind mowers. Must be cheap.

I won't go into the boring details, but I have to
buy two brand new walk behind mowers. They
will be used until the end of the grass cutting
season. They will not be tossed out with the
garbage. I'm going to give them to a local
vocational school where they teach kids about
all different types of combustion engines.

Naturally, the cheapest mower I've seen so far
is a WeadEater model sold by WalMart. They
want $109.00. Is that as low as they go? Is there
someplace I can buy a couple of new mowers
for less than what WalMart is charging? I realize
that WalMart prices are usually the lowest.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks guys.

Sponsored Links

MO

03-30-07, 08:47 PM   #2  
I didn't know you could still buy a mower for $109.00, I'm is St. Louis and the cheapist I've seen is $139.00 at a Wal-Mart, however, I haven't been shopping for mowers so maybe they still sell for under $100.00. Good luck. Have a good one. Geo

03-31-07, 01:16 PM   #3  
The lowest I've seen at Wally World was $89, but that was last year. It looks like I might also need a new mower, and $109 might be the cheapest.

Did you see that price in the store, or in the add that went out this week? That low price I mentioned for last year was a Murray, and they sometimes sell for cheaper than the other brands. They're supposed to be just as good as any other mower.

Another alternative is to buy a used mower at a pawnshop. Alot of them show up at shops here. That would only work if the mower didn't have to be new.

03-31-07, 02:48 PM   #4  
Most of the commercial guys around here either buy the very cheapest they can buy and peddle them off at the end of the season and buy new and cheap again the next year, or buy the best they can get and look after it.

The "key" to getting the most out of a mower is not the high price but is good maintenance. A cheap mower, properly maintained will last a lot longer than the most expensive mower on the market with no maintenance.

03-31-07, 06:29 PM   #5  
Posted By: backyardwonder Most of the commercial guys around here either buy the very cheapest they can buy and peddle them off at the end of the season and buy new and cheap again the next year, or buy the best they can get and look after it.

The "key" to getting the most out of a mower is not the high price but is good maintenance. A cheap mower, properly maintained will last a lot longer than the most expensive mower on the market with no maintenance.

Yeah..maybe... I dont know where you live but around here , no self respecting professional would even touch let alone be seen by the other guys using a homeowner lawn mower.
Also, the point of using commercial is the performance and ease of use, not how long it will last ( even though for obvious reasons they do last a lot longer ), but anyways I've got two commercial honda lawn mowers ( $ 1100 each ) and they will go much longer than any homeowner's in the market with or without maintenance my friend.
It can be 30 F in the winter or 115 F in the summer time and do you know how many times do you have to pull the cord on these Honda's to get them started ? yes you guessed right : Once .
If you get chance try one you will never go back to homeowner's stuff.
When you engage the drive you'll know what Im talking about.

03-31-07, 06:53 PM   #6  
No doubt about it, Honda engines are great and I would never suggest anybody not buy one if they can handle the hefty price tag and are sure their operator(s) are competent.

Up here in Ontario, Canada, where it can hit minus 20F in the winter and plus 80F in the summer, folks are still runing good, old Tecumsehs and B & S engines and they all start first pull too when properly maintained.

And come to think of it, I've never seen a Honda engine on a snowblower.

Search this Thread