Mower won't stay running

Old 03-31-07, 11:10 AM
Question Mower won't stay running

I have a Craftsman Rotary lawn mower. Model #917.372282 Engine model # 143.414382 craftsman. It is a Tecumseh 4.0 hp engine.
I have completly tuned it up , I use the primer button and it starts right away then dies, I think its just using the primer to run then stops. I have check the butterfly and its working ok, I checked the float and it checks OK. Like to se a picture of the carb and see how it works can't find one on the net. Any Ideas?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-07, 11:23 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
Go here http://www3.sears.com/ and use the engine model # to find IPL.
Check the bolt that holds the bowl on the carb. It is the main jet and has holes that need to be open.

Old 03-31-07, 01:05 PM
Thumbs up

Cleaned the bolt and bolt hole, RUNS FINE !!!!!!

Thanks !!

Old 04-01-07, 02:16 PM
Red face

Now that I have it running the RPM does not stay steady, it is up and down and up and down.

Old 04-01-07, 02:37 PM
Idle not steady on Tecumseh engine

Hi- That is the same problem that I am currently having with my Tecumseh 6HP Murray 20" self-propelled. It goes up down etc and only if I hit high grass resistance it sort of stabilizes. That's what I am also interested in knowing what that could be.

Old 04-01-07, 05:03 PM
Azis
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by budd38 View Post
Now that I have it running the RPM does not stay steady, it is up and down and up and down.
Sounds like the same problem, maybe some debris in your fuel tank is still flowing through the fuel system. Possibly another restriction also. I don't think you have any adjustments on your carb so restriction is the most likely cause.

Old 04-02-07, 01:35 PM
Azis

Okay. I'll have to give it a proper cleaning with TB spray. I remember doing that before and it didn't help much. I can hold the linkage that goes back and forth when the throttle is warbling up and down and it will stay running. I think it's some kind of automatic govenor when I hit a heavy load. Any chance I might have to do the same thing by cleaning the jets?

Old 04-02-07, 11:25 PM
clean and rebuild the carb

Old 04-03-07, 05:44 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by hexonx View Post
Okay. I'll have to give it a proper cleaning with TB spray. I remember doing that before and it didn't help much.
I don't know what "TB spray" is. You should use a cleaner that is meant to remove the varnish built up in fuel systems. Any auto parts store should carry a few brands of carb cleaner.
Unless the govenor (levers and springs) were adjusted or otherwise changed somehow (yard debris, collision...), it shouldn't be a problem.

Old 04-07-07, 02:09 PM
Azis

TB spray = Throttle-body spray. It's less prone to hurting plastics, compared to carb spray. FWIW. Thanks for the info.

Old 04-07-07, 06:46 PM
Azis
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by hexonx View Post
TB spray = Throttle-body spray. It's less prone to hurting plastics, compared to carb spray. FWIW. Thanks for the info.
Prolly less prone to hurting varnish too

Old 04-15-07, 12:43 PM
TB vs carb cleaner

In the old school days of carbs the carb cleaner did the job. Now with the throttle body taking over, I think the carb cleaner was reformulated so it wouldn't hurt certain plastic chemically. LOL! I think it still does a decent job with varnish. I didn't have a chance to try it yet because the weather decided to change since my last post on this thread.

Old 05-09-07, 09:03 AM
Azis I think you are correct.

I finally cut my lawn yesterday. The Murray 6HP 20" started up fine and ran okay until I tried to cut the grass. During the start up process I cleaned it with TB/carb cleaner. Now here is what I found. I believe Azis has the answer. The engine runs but goes up and down as if it loses fuel and grabs it again. If I adjust the throttle to slow, it runs smooth and then dies. I have to pump the fuel bulb everytime I have to start it even when it's warm, but it will start without the pump after it has been running for an hour or so. It's a clear indication of not getting enough fuel and then the gov tries to compensate and thus the up and down engine running. I also have a bolt on the bottom of my carb bowel but I haven't tried to open the bowel yet until I get feedback from this thread.

BTW, I did get the lawn done but I want to get this problem resolved.

thanks.

Old 05-20-07, 11:38 AM
Thumbs up Float bowl Screw loose!

Hey all. Another weekend and finally today I cleaned the float bowl screw on the bottom of the carburator. It looked okay but I cleaned it anyway. When I took it off the carb, it was already loose so I'm thinking that was the problem. Now the Murray Tecumseh 6HP starts up and stays running smooth. Thanks again.

Old 05-20-07, 02:25 PM
Sorry no one replied back to you but I'm glad you are up and running smooth again.

Old 05-20-07, 03:25 PM
Thumbs up Old mowers work great!

My first mower was a snapper self-propelled walkbehind. For some reason that mower wasn't as reliable especially the self-propel design was wierd. So I went and bought a cheapy Murray with a Tecumseh LEV 6HP engine. This has been working great for over 14 years now. I just had to replace the wheels once. I also have a Southland mower Corp model G0208 push mower with a B&S 3HP system 2(?) manual start. The chrome on the handlebars is pitted rust but the mower still starts up every time. This beauty was given to me by a neighbor that moved away. Oh its body name is a Herculean garden Gem. LOL!

Old 05-20-07, 03:37 PM
See, bigger isn't always better! Nice story.