Craftsman Oil Leak

Old 04-01-07, 10:39 AM
Craftsman Oil Leak

I recently changed my spark plug, oil and blade on my '97 craftsman self-propelled lawnmower. Now, all of a sudden I am getting an oil leak pooling around the base of the motor. I cannot tell where the oil is coming from. I have cleaned pool of oil and refilled oil (not past overfill mark) and it still leaks. I may have overfilled oil the first time. Does anyone have any ideas? If I overfilled one time, could the oil continuously leak or cause problems internal to engine? Please help.

Last edited by vagator; 04-01-07 at 10:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-07, 10:59 AM
Does it have the oil fill tube that is long and the cap is near the top of the engine? Then the tube narrows down and fits into a hole at the bottom? If so the O-ring at the bottom could be bad. They sell replacement O-rings at the lawnmower shops. Not just any O-ring will work as it has to be oil resistant and stand the heat from the engine. Mine did that and they said it is a common problem. Just remove the screw holding the tube to the engine and pull up on the tube till it comes out of the hole. Replace the O-ring onto the tube and reinstall onto the engine. Overfilling is always bad for the engine as it increases pressure inside the engine. This may have caused the O-ring to fail or it could be just age.

Old 04-01-07, 11:06 AM
thanks for the reply...do you know if I would be able to see oil leaking in a paticular area if it is the o-ring? The craftsman mower I have is a EZ3, 6.75HP, 22", model # 917.377580.

Old 04-01-07, 08:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Is this oil just leaking while the mower sits, or is it only when running? You may have to clean off the mower and watch to see where it's coming from. If it's the O ring leaking, then naturally the oil will appear around it.

Old 04-02-07, 05:12 AM
oil is only leaking after running for a period of time...it is hard to tell where the oil is coming from...looks like from around the base of the motor, but can't really tell...any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Chad

Old 04-03-07, 06:25 AM
Wow.. deja vu

Funnily enough I spent a majority of the day on Monday (yesterday) cleaning my Craftsman 6.75 HP 22" mower. I previously noticed oil leaking around the base of the engine.. After a complete clean I experienced the same thing you did.. Mower was fine for a little, then oil pools around the base of the engine. I also have no idea where the oil is originating..

Glad to hear it could just be an O ring.. I wonder if the dorks at sears will know? I really dont want to load the dirty old mower in the van and drive it all the way down there, especially if it is going to cost as much to fix as a new mower will be..

Old 04-03-07, 11:45 AM
Throw in the towel

Originally Posted by vagator View Post
oil is only leaking after running for a period of time...it is hard to tell where the oil is coming from...looks like from around the base of the motor, but can't really tell...any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Chad
Chad, I just called Sears.. No help there.. So I called a reputable place near where I live and the guy there says it sounds like you and I both are suffering from a blown head gasket.

He said oil it up and run it till it dies.. Labor will be more to fix it than buy a new mower.

FWIW I am looking at the Toro Persaonal Pace, Walk Power Mower with Electric Start and BBC, 22 In., 6.5 hp, 3 In. 1

Model 20076

Looks sweet and has awesome reviews..

Old 04-03-07, 03:27 PM
Just when I thought I heard it all......

I don't know what a head gasket has to do with an oil leak.

Your problem is very likely the seal at the bottom of the oil filler tube where it fits into the motor base. It will not gush oil but as the engine runs it will very slowly push oil out the seal. Remove the little self tapping screw at the top of the filler tube holding it to the engine cover. Find the round seal collar either on the end of the tube or still in the hole and check it over. If it's OK, just put everything back together nice and snug and you should be fine.

If you need a new seal, any small engine shop should be able to match it up for you in about 30 seconds.

Old 04-06-07, 03:03 PM
oil mystery

i would like to think the leak is the oil tube seal, but this assembly is in the back of the mower - close to the mower handle. It seems to me the oil begins to pool near the front of the mover - close to the spark plug area. Could the fill tube gasket cause the oil to leak up in this area? i tried to remove the housings to get to the o-ring, but had difficulty figuring out how to access...any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Chad

Old 04-06-07, 03:54 PM
There is a gasket between the crankcase and the motor base. If you look carefully about an inch above the base, you can see where the division is. It is remotely possible this gasket has sprung a leak underneath the cylinder. If this is the case, you would have to remove the engine, separate upper and lower sections, replace the gasket and put it back together again.

Odds are still high that the oil filler tube is the problem. Oil can ooze out just about anywhere and creep just about anywhere so where it winds up is not necessarily the source of the leak.

Search this Thread