no spark briggs

Old 04-04-07, 12:04 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
no spark briggs

hello everybody, i picked up a log splitter with a briggs 130202 model engine type 0985-01 code 800051210. it has no spark, i removed the cover and sanded down the module ends the magnet and the top and botom of the module where the bolts contact it. i used a card from a previous change out and on a second attempt tried the dollar bill trick when remounting the module and still have no spark. am i missing something? i was going to change the ignition module next. should i do that or should i try something else first. i don't see a safety switch and didnt expect one from an engine made in 80 but is there one? any and all help is appreciated. thanks in advance.

Old 04-04-07, 01:28 PM
Azis
Visiting Guest
It could be just your points. However a new magneto/coil will allow you to disable and not need points any longer.
Not sure now on how much for a coil, 35 to 50...? Points maybe 10 bucks. The points are located under the flywheel. Look for a wire going under it. If you still have the wire then the points are prolly still there and in use.
You can save the time now and in the future to put on the new coil and be done with it, or change out the points and hope on the coil

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: