Riding Mower Problem

Old 04-02-07, 09:45 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Riding Mower Problem

Hi. I have a Yard Machines (MTD) riding mower with a Briggs & Stratton 18.5 HP Twin II engine. I've used it for over 7 years, and the engine has never had any problems starting. Now, it starts fine when it's cold. It runs excellent while I'm using it. I can run a full tank of gas through it at full speed with no problems (plenty of power, no missing, etc.). However, it's got a new problem. When I run out of gas and refill it, it doesn't want to start when it's hot. I have to let it cool about 1/2 hour, then it starts fine again and I can continue mowing. Any idea why it won't start hot, but works fine in all other respects? Thanks for any thoughts.

Old 04-02-07, 09:50 AM
R
I have a chain saw like that. I fixed the problem by not letting it run out of gas.

Old 04-02-07, 09:54 AM
M
Thanks rockpro...that's an interesting thought. I've been letting it run out before refilling, but today I'll fill it before it runs out. You just may have the answer

Old 04-02-07, 12:56 PM
Azis
Visiting Guest
It sounds like you could also have a mild vapor lock going on. Depends on where your fuel tank is and the fuel line routing, I think some of those twins are routed along the top of the shroud then slightly lower around the front to the fuel pump. If you run it out of fuel the pump has lost its prime and if there is a spot in the line higher than the tank outlet, along with a hot engine compartment, the pump may have problem getting the fuel started.
Still I agree with Rockpro Oh and btw, those things take oil too...might wanna keep an eye on that level as well

Old 04-02-07, 07:02 PM
M
Thanks to both

First, I went through 3 tanks today (refilled twice). Both times, I shut it off just before it ran out and refilled...also always check oil when I refill

Anyway, started right up both times. Azis may be right about the vapor lock if it runs out completely, but apparently not letting it run dry solves the problem. Thanks again for the assist...much appreciated!

Old 04-02-07, 08:17 PM
Azis
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by mystified
Thanks to both

First, I went through 3 tanks today (refilled twice). Both times, I shut it off just before it ran out and refilled...also always check oil when I refill
Good Job!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: