steering problem

Old 04-03-07, 01:48 PM
wwc
steering problem

I have a John deere 68 simplicity riding mower.

The problem is the two steering gears that mesh together at the front end of the mower have become disconnected ,i managed to get the gear section that the wheels attach to each back together in the mower and attached to the round gear section from the steering wheel but i need to know what holds the shaft up into the frame section of the wheel gear section so they don't come unmeshed again.
I don't see a hole for a cotter pin or a groove for a c clip.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-07, 03:52 PM
Azis
Visiting Guest
I don't see anything on the drawing, it looks like there is a collar, washer...? on the shaft itself a few inches above the pinion gear.

You can find IPL here
http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/com.deere.u90490.partscatalog.view.servlets.HomePageServlet_Alt

Old 04-03-07, 05:54 PM
wwc
I agree , I don't see anything on top of the shaft attaching it in place.
All i could see on the shaft was a bushing.
Something has to hold it up in place and not come unattached to the steering column gear.

Old 04-03-07, 10:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Nothing holds it. The tight mesh of the column gear with the sector gear should keep the sector gear teeth in place. The column gear has a flat spot over the gear, to keep the sector gear from falling downwards. The gears have to be meshed together well or the gear will back out far enough to fall. If this happens, the sector gear, related bushings, and column bushings should be replaced. Another thing I see sometimes is the column bushing wears the hole in the frame a bit, and I've had to weld around the hole and grind it back out to get proper fit of the bushing.

Old 04-04-07, 04:42 PM
wwc
Hmmm, I don't have a bushing in the shaft now.
could that be the reason it falls out after a little driving around.
I see what you mean by it holds in place by just meshing together.
it sure isn't tight together now.

Old 04-05-07, 02:30 AM
Replacing the lower steering shaft bushing should do the trick. Seen this a number of times on these rear engine riders.

Old 04-05-07, 01:03 PM
wwc
Thanks alot, I'll see if i can find a local place that sells it.

Old 04-10-07, 03:11 PM
wwc
Ok not having much luck finding the part around here.
Does anyone know a cheap online place to order it?

also what is the procedure of replacing the bushing, Because even without the bushing it's very hard to get both gears to go together.

Old 04-10-07, 11:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You'll need to remove the steering wheel, let the column down, put the column and sector gears together and slip them back up at the same time (while meshed together).

Old 04-13-07, 09:14 PM
wwc
Thanks cheese, but thats not working good either.
I can't get the steering wheel off, even with a puller it just will not come off.
I taped out the pin from the wheel and attached the gear puller to the shaft and wheel and it just will not budge.
The brass bushing seems to be in good condition, the teeth on the gears seem fine also.
There is some play and the shafts don't seem like they are as tight as they should be.
How loose is the shaft supposed to be in the brass bushing.

Now what am i gonna do.

Old 04-13-07, 10:18 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
That loose play is the problem, and the only way I know of to replace the bushings is to remove the steering wheel. I've had one or two that wouldn't come off. I had to break one to get it off.

Old 04-14-07, 07:06 PM
wwc
Thanks, I think the looseness is the problem too.
looks like the only way to tighten it all back up is to replace both bushings.

It looks like i can drive out the brass bushing from the half moon gear that attaches to the idler arms to the wheels.
Is there a similar bushing for the steering shaft too somewhere?

I tried again to use a puller to take off the steering wheel and it just will not budge .
I disconnected the gears underneath and tried to drive the shaft down through the steering wheel but it wouldn't budge that way either.
Am i going to have to cut the wheel off and the steel shim that surounds the shaft inside the steering wheel in order to remove the whole shaft to replace the bushing?