confused-one

Old 04-05-07, 12:17 AM
confused-one

My cousin called and said her husband took apart their lawn mower 3 years ago and can't remember how to put it back together.
She has no idea of the make the year but she thinks the first color was orange.
Does any one know how I can look this info up.
The numbers were ground off before he painted it so all I know is it's a 38 inch cut with a 10 hp briggs and straton engine it has a Craftsmas seat and a Montgumary Ward steering wheel.
I can send pics of this lawn mower in it's partial rebuild form if needed to help.
I also need pic diagrams of brake clutch me. pulley location ect.
Thanks,
confused one

Last edited by confused-one; 04-05-07 at 01:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-07, 02:21 AM
Pics please! Of all the critical and areas of concern.

Old 04-07-07, 09:34 AM
First of all and based on the pics you emailed me, this is a late 70's, early 80's-vintage MTD lawn tractor produced for Montgomery Wards. It is powered by a 22 cubic inch Briggs & Stratton engine and has a Peerless 600-series 3-speed transaxle. Perhaps this is in relatively good condition but I still have to ask...Why do you want to trouble yourself with reassembling this 25-year-old-plus mower? The reason I ask is that even if you are able to get this back together it will likely be costly to keep it running and operating in good order. Although I believe you will have no trouble getting any needed parts -as they should still be available- it will be difficult without the identification numbers from the chassis in order to purchase the correct parts. As for obtaining any manuals to aid you in reassembly of this machine, MTD has never been good about providing well illustrated service/repair manuals, ever, and for you to find one for this machine will be highly unlikely. You, or someone you know, will need to have a good working knowledge of this machine, having regularly serviced such. If this unit were in my shop, even I'd have some head-scratching moments due to the fact that it is in a state of disassembly without my having done the disassembly personally. You have provided me with good pictures to view but for me to tell you, specifically, where each and every part is to be attached will be impossible. If you were to take it to a service shop familiar with older MTD units, I'd guess that the job could be done in a matter of 2-3 hours. This and any parts needs may easily put you up and over the $200 mark. On the other hand, if you want to give it a go without any manuals or knowledge, what do you have to lose...Other than time.

Old 04-07-07, 07:10 PM
It can be done

The best way to say it is "they said I couldn't put it back together" thats why I have to put this back together and I hope to use little or no money to do it.
I hate the idea of anyone saying "it can't be done" I was allways told "If one man can do it you can to you just have to get the knowlege to have the ability" that is why I need to do it I guess to prove a point.
Thanks for your help I'll try looking around that year and make.

Old 04-07-07, 07:37 PM
Azis
Visiting Guest
MTD has a archive that will likely have an owners manual and assembly drawings with parts list. It does require a Model # and Serial #
From what Puey describes it sounds similar to what MTD made for sears around that time as well, sears site would also be a place to throw numbers in and see what came out.

http://manuals.mtdproducts.com/mtd/public/list.jsp#

http://www3.sears.com/

Old 04-08-07, 03:45 PM
I know of no online or computer software lookup for these without a model and serial number, so bare with me a day or two and I'll get a model and serial number for you to reference, by way of my microfiche lookup, and you can then attempt to use the following link for exploded view break-downs of a machine that I will try to match to your pics as best possible: http://wssemw.arinet.com/scripts/EmpartISAPI.dll?MF You will need to copy and paste this link in your browser.

Old 04-12-07, 12:09 AM
thank you

Thank you any help is great

Old 04-12-07, 12:11 AM
thank you

Thank you I will try the hunt.