Honda mower idling hard. Please help.

Old 04-05-07, 04:11 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Honda mower idling hard. Please help.

I have a two year old Honda harmony 2 lawn mower. I tipped it on its side last fall and oil leaked out the other end. It did not start for a while but I narrowed it down to the spark plug witch was black. I have since changed the filter. The problem is the spark plug will only last a few minutes before becoming black again the mower running poorly (revs fast then slow the fast then slow). I am not sure what is wrong but I am pretty handy and feel I can do it myself with a little guidance. If you have any idea what it is I would really appreciate the help.

Old 04-05-07, 07:40 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I almost think the oil got into the carb & partially blocked a jet. I would try a good carb clean in a bath type cleaner, Or at least try to clean the main jet in the bolt that holds the fuel bowl on. Let us know what works,, Thanks, Roger

Old 04-06-07, 06:20 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
I agree you prolly got oil in the carb, and now rather than blocking a jet, is mixing with the gas and trying to burn. Oil and gas is not a very combustible mixture. It shouldn't hurt anything other than not burning good and fouling plugs.
You should be ok just cleaning out the fuel bowl. It should be obvious if there is still oil in it. I think the carb body will clear itself ok.

The filter you changed, was it the air filter? If not I think it may be oil soaked and should be changed also.

Old 04-06-07, 08:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Sounds like the engine is running too rich for whatever reason. Could be that the air filter is restricted. Hondas air filters are funny..they can look good but still be restricted. Especially if they've ever gotten wet. Once they get wet and dry out, they don't allow air to pass easily. Another thing is that the choke could be out of adjustment, staying partially on. Could also be a carburetor problem.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: