Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

PTO switch problem...Bolens lawn tractor

04-05-07, 02:54 PM   #1  
PTO switch problem...Bolens lawn tractor

Yesterday, I hit a big bump in the yard while mowing with my Bolens lawn tractor and the engine immediately stopped. I think the mowing deck fell to the lowest setting in the process. It's almost certain that the PTO safety switch has been damaged or is stuck in the "open" position, which of course kills the battery to the engine.

Can anyone give me some advice on (1) how to even find this switch, and (2) what I can do to trouble shoot it. I'd even be willing to TEMPORARILY disable the switch until I can get it repaired, just so I can keep cutting my lawn!!

Thanks in advance for your time and help with this.

Carl

Sponsored Links

04-05-07, 03:45 PM   #2  
The switches are usually tucked up under the frame, usually a little black box with a push button. Some switches are normally open, others are normally closed. You may have pulled a wire off. Happens occasionally when twigs, branches, etc. find their way into the frame.

Visiting Guest

04-06-07, 07:05 AM   #3  
Azis
It would be of great help if you can post the model #'s from your tractor. It will depend on what type of PTO you have.
Do the blades engage with the height selector? Manual PTO lever on the dash? Electric pull knob on the dash? ...........?

04-06-07, 09:09 AM   #4  
Thanks for the reply. I Have a Bolens 762, which has both a height selector (1-5) AND a mechanical "PTO Blade Engage" lever as well. Both the height selector and engage lever are on the right side, adjacent to each other.

04-06-07, 09:13 AM   #5  
P.S. More info. on the model....

I meant to tell you, my Bolens is the 38-inch cut which is sold at Lowes. It's dark green in color, in case you may have seen one. Thanks. C

Visiting Guest

04-06-07, 09:18 AM   #6  
Azis
You should find a label with the model # under the seat along with the serial #.
Make sure you returned the manual PTO to the Disengaged position. The height selector should have nothing to do with the PTO switch.
Also I think the switch for the PTO is located on the inside of the console near the slot for the PTO lever.

04-07-07, 06:55 AM   #7  
Update...mysterious electrical problem

Well, I found the PTO switch, along with the other lock-out switches, and they seem to be making contact OK. So I've got to have some other electrical ignition problem. I've already checked: battery power, batery connections, and spark plug. I can't figure what hitting a bump could have jarred loose. any ideas??????

Visiting Guest

04-07-07, 07:46 AM   #8  
Azis
Posted By: Azis You should find a label with the model # under the seat along with the serial #.
What is or isn't it doing? Does anything happen at all when you try to start it?
Click, whirrrr, whine....?

04-15-07, 01:23 PM   #9  
Bolens Lawn Tractor

Hi Carl2171 If you come up with a fix for yours please let me known. I have the same unit and it stopped yesterday 4/ 15/07 after going through a dry ditch the deck lifted and the unit stopped. I have went through the switches and out of ideas. If anyone knows how to bypass the saftey switches please help. AZIS my tractor only makes a single click sound when I turn the key. It sounds like the solenoid so I replaced it no luck. Thanks Rd2d65

Visiting Guest

04-15-07, 05:20 PM   #10  
Azis
Depending on the click, it sounds like the solenoid and key switch are working. Does the starter click or engage?
If not you might try jumping the big lugs on the solenoid and see if it will.
Hopefully you have checked the battery charge and connections.

04-16-07, 01:38 PM   #11  
Bolens 762

Carl2171 I had the same problem, I removed the plastic engine cover the starter is on the left side check the flywheel to see if the starter disengaged. My starter was stuck I tapped the gear gently to diengage from the flywheel and that was it. Let me know if it helps.

Rd2d65

Visiting Guest

04-16-07, 02:54 PM   #12  
Azis
Glad you found it Rd2d65. Thanks for the reply.

Search this Thread