Toro Select a pace

Old 04-06-07, 01:55 PM
Toro Select a pace

I posted about a problem with a Toro Model 20022 with a traction drive problem with the select a pace system. It turned out to be a combination of things, but the worst was a stripped out plastic gear in the wheel, and stripped out steel gear on the axle on the left hand side as you drive the mower. I broke the snap ring (rusty) and put all new gears, keys etc. in place, but I am having a time getting the new snap ring in place, as there is a small compression spring that goes between it and the steel gear. This snap ring has no holes in it for conventional snap ring pliers, and I dont know what to use to get this ring in place to tap it down into the grooves without possibly breaking something...Clues?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-07, 02:10 PM
I would go to the local hardware store and get a snap ring you can work with, using the tools you have. I've never seen a snap ring with no holes; maybe it's just a dud.

Old 04-06-07, 02:23 PM
This is not actually a snap-ring, it is an E-clip and they do simply press into position. Here is the breakdown of your drive train for your reference https://homeownersolutions.toro.com/portal/server.pt?space=CommunityPage&cached=true&parentname=CommunityPage&parentid=1&in_hi_userid=19462&control=SetCommunity&CommunityID=214&PageID=238#65-2720 Just copy and paste this link to view it. It does take some torque to get it to snap into place.

Old 04-06-07, 02:43 PM
E-Clip torque

Boy you got that right... lets see..two thumbs to hold the spring against the washer, and one hand to hold the Eclip next to the groove, and one hand to hold a small mallett, and another hand to hold a small punch...

Thanks for the diagram anyway.

Old 04-06-07, 03:57 PM
A pair of channel locks work just fine to install E-clips.