Ariens 3HP rototiller RT320 model

Old 04-07-07, 04:52 AM
Ariens 3HP rototiller RT320 model

I got this tiller that shows no spark. I think it may be the module for ignition, is there a test i can determine to see if this part is defective. Does this engine have any points and condenser behind the flywheel. The code for the B&S engine is 80202-0808-01 Thank you Jim

Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-07, 07:40 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
Your engine does have points and is more likely the problem than the coil is. You can check with a local dealer to see if a magnatron coil is available. The Briggs IPL does not list one.

Old 04-07-07, 10:06 AM
Briggs has a simple inline tester to check ignition strength. But if you have no spark at the spark plug AND you have a known good spark plug and still have no spark then it will be unnecessary to perform the inline spark test. If you are sure that you don't have a bare kill circuit wire grounding out the system and you want to replace the points, this is Briggs part number 299061. If your engine code number is later than 6212310 then you will have an original 298502, ignition coil and, on this one, you can eliminate the points and condensor and install a solid state coil, if you choose, with Briggs part number 496914. If the code is earlier than the above mentioned number then this will be a 291617, coil and cannot be converted to solid state.