Craftsman Eager 1 6.0 HP Mower Pull Cord Issue?

Old 04-07-07, 08:06 AM
Craftsman Eager 1 6.0 HP Mower Pull Cord Issue?

I have an Eager1 6.0 hp mower that was given to me by a friend. We are a low-income family, and I need to mow my lawn. The problem is this, the last few times I've gone out to start the mower, I get one good pull off the rope, and then after that it refuses to engage. The rope is not broken, and the thing inside turns when I pull it, but there is no resistance, and the motor does not turn over. When I give up and go at it a few days later again, the same thing. One pull, and then no longer engaging. (Is this what is meant by "one-pull start" ?)

I am not really very mechanical, but I am brave, and I have access to some tools.
Is this something easy to fix? I am not sure what is going on, and any advice would be greatly appreciated.
It is spring now, and the need to mow is greater than ever. Grass is getting pretty high!

Last edited by PatricioMcMower; 04-07-07 at 09:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-07, 09:54 AM
LOL on the one-pull-start, good for a chuckle. It sounds like the pawls are not engaging from the starter. You didn't provide the engine make or ID numbers but I'll guess you have a Tecumseh engine. Tecumseh has a very common starter that on some have a plastic retaining wedge inserted in the top of the starter housing. This wedge is likely worn and not providing necessary pressure to engage the pawls. To find out if you have this style starter, use an exacto type sharp blade and cut an X in the sticker on the very top of the starter housing in order to fold back the sticker and expose the wedge and pawl (dog) retainer, using a small flat bladed screwdriver pry out the wedge from the retainer. If plastic, purchase a Tecumseh repair kit, part number 590760 (includes a metal wedge and new sticker) and using a blunt instrument press the new wedge in place clearly noticing a snap to indicate that it is in place properly, apply the new sticker and you should be good to go. If, on the other hand, this is a Briggs engine or not the wedge style Tecumseh starter, post back with the engine's identification numbers.

Old 04-08-07, 08:48 AM
Thumbs up

Thanks for your help! I am psyched that this forum resolved my problem!!!
It turns out it was a Tecumseh engine, though I would not have known except for it being stamped in the starter blades - no sticker anywhere to identify it.
I took off the top part where the string coils around. I guess when you pull the string, there are two little metal arms that pop out and engage the lower part of the starter. They were dirty and gummed up. I few squirts of wd-40 loosened them up and I was onmy way. What an easy fix!

Still took five pulls to start, and not one. But my lawn is mowed and looking good!

Thanks again for your help and advice!

Old 04-08-07, 09:22 AM
Always good to hear a success story. Thanks for posting back.

Old 04-08-07, 03:25 PM
As for your five-pulls-to-start issue and, again, without engine ID numbers to go by, priming prodecure is critical for easy startups on Tecumseh's. Whether your engine calls for three or five primes (depends on the ID numbers and subsequent carburetor style) it is important to use the fat of your thumb on the primer bulb and holding in for one second and releasing for one second - either three or five times as required. See what that does for your startup!

Search this Thread