8 HP Briggs coughs and sputters-no start

Old 04-10-07, 05:16 AM
8 HP Briggs coughs and sputters-no start

Model # 191702 Type 600601
I rebuilt carb yesterday. Cleaned and blew out gas tank. Fresh gas. Is it getting too much gas? Do I need to mess with the air adjustment? If I do then please tell me how. I am at a loss on this thing. It wasn't getting gas so I did all what I said earlier and also put on new fuel line. Carb is plenty wet now. I put in new spark plug too. Is my gap off maybe? What should the gap be? Does needle on bottom of bowl need adjustment or should it be all the way in? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-07, 07:33 PM
You didn't really hit on what, exactly, you have for a problem, but I'll guess you have a no start issue. There is no air adjustment but there are two fuel adjustment screws. The one on the bottom of the carburetor bowl is the main adjusting screw and will be 1 1/2-2 turns out from seated and the other is on top of the carb (the one straight down with a spring under the head) and will be 1-1 1/2 turns out from seated and is the idle fuel screw. The spark plug should be a Champion (R)J19LM or equivalent set at .030". If you have the adjustments on or about the money and you still have a no start issue (if that's you're trouble) then I recommend reconditioning the carburetor by first soaking it and the using the proper Briggs rebuild kit, part number 394698.