Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

old briggs tiller acts like its running out of fuel - finally dies after it warms up

04-11-07, 08:57 PM   #1  
old briggs tiller acts like its running out of fuel - finally dies after it warms up

i have an older model briggs tiller probably 3hp or 3.5hp i can get the numbers real quick

i cleaned the carb out real good it had gum just in the fuel hose inlet and in the needle seat passage, cleaned it all out real good and with compressed air too, otherwise it was clean and good inside the bowl and everywhere else,

now it runs fine til it gets good and warm after a couple or few minutes and starts bogging down like its runnign out of gas and it finally slows up and dies, take a little time

im confused/boggled

it has way plenty of fuel in the bowl too, its no where near low level in the bowl

the spark plug is totally dry when i pull it after it does this

its not a rubber diapragm/gasket type carb, it is older than this

any ideas ?

thanks for anything

Sponsored Links

04-12-07, 04:22 PM   #2  
It probably all goes back to the carb. Some of the real oldies have very minute pinhole ports in various locations within the casting which must be absolutely clear.

If it will continue to run with choke after it warms up, it suggests a fuel supply problem and I would be looking very closely for minute pinhole ports which could easily be clogged with the same gunk you found elsewhere. Also, if any feed tubes were removed for cleaning, etc. they have to be reinstalled precisely as they were positioned before for ports to line up, etc.

One very good source for info can be your local library as they may have repair manuals going back quite a few years.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-12-07, 07:50 PM   #3  
Try it again with a loose gas cap in case the cap isn't venting properly. Will it restart after it dies? Does it have spark after it dies?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

05-28-07, 01:51 PM   #4  
hi no it wont restart after this it wont start cold either, dry spark plug

if i gas it to start it then it will run for a while then die

im tired of cleaning out the jet and such, it is perfectly clean
i dont understand why it continues to do this

i could maybe se eif it was a newer and plastic carb and rubber diapragm one but its not, its an old school aluminum carb one with nothing in it but a jet and a float and needle and seat, the bowl is full of gas it has no fuel delivery to bowl issue either

so what the heck ?

thanks for anything else

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-30-07, 02:09 AM   #5  
What are the engine numbers?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread