Trying to remove rear tire from Craftsman Lawn Tractor

Old 04-13-07, 03:59 PM
Question Trying to remove rear tire from Craftsman Lawn Tractor

Flat rear tire on 11 year old Lawn Tractor (i'm original owner). The leak is along the side wall, so I'm going to have a tube put in. I removed the latch ring & one washer -- the book says there a 2, but I didn't find a second one. Now I am suppose to "remove square pin, & don't lose it". Well, I see it, but I certainly can't figure out how I'm suppose to remove it since it is flush with the axle. I have tried wiggling the tire--don't want to take a big hammer to it! I don't want to have to pay $85 to have them come out just to remove a tire. Any ideas? I squirted Liquid Wrench thinking maybe it was just rusted up. No luck so far.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-07, 10:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You may be able to pull the wheel off (the axle key will come out when you remove the wheel). Keep soaking it with penetrating oil. /usually they'll turn loose after some hard tugging and fighting with it. I have had some that I had to use an impact hammer to remove, and then a very few were rusted so badly that they had to be cut off the axle.

You can put a tube in it while it's still mounted on the mower if needed.

Old 04-14-07, 03:42 PM
Okay, that got my attention....is it possible for ME to install a tube into it while it is mounted? Where would I get the tube and what would the procedure be for that? I am not making any headway with the removal & hesitate to use more force, don't want to damage the axle or tranie.

Old 04-14-07, 03:59 PM
You should be able to get a tube at most lawnmower dealers or farm supply outlets. You can get the size off the side of the tire, sometimes you have to look at the inside wall. Otherwise, most tubes are generic.

As noted, it can be extremely difficult to remove rusty rims and many a rim has been destroyed in removal. If you have a puller, I sometimes drill holes through the rim on either side of the hub and pull it off with extra long bolts.