Homelite 240 - Starting problems

Old 04-14-07, 01:07 PM
Homelite 240 - Starting problems

Hi, I have a Homelite 240 Chainsaw, Model # HD2170620, UT 10625A. I took it apart to clean it down and replace the spark plug and the bar. I replaced the spark plug with the same one that came out. I tok the exhaust assembly off the engine block and claned it all up. I put everything back together and I cannot start it. It seems their is alot of resistance when the piston goes up for the compression stroke right after the exhaust port closes I have to pull the starter rope with ALOT of force to get it to come back down after its gone through the cycle. When I take the spark plug out it is easy to turn it over which makes sense. But its when I put the spark plug back it and the piston comes up for the compression stroke it becomes a bear to pull it back over again. It did not do this before I took it apart. I tried to give it a good hard pull to start it and it just jumps the saw off the ground from me pulling so hard. So any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-07, 04:02 PM
I would think you have excessive oil in the cylinder which raises the compression beyond normal conditions. You could try a teaspoon of gas into the cylinder through the spark plug hole and see if that dilutes the oil sufficiently to lower compression and allow you to start.

Old 04-14-07, 08:21 PM
I forgot to add that their seemed to be alot of foamy liquid in the cylinder coating the cylinder walls. This was after I tried to crank it for a few turns. Thank you though i will try it.

Old 05-06-07, 06:18 PM
I tryed the gas in the chamber and it worked but it would not start and then I had to go to work. ANd now when i went back to start it it still does the same thing as before and no matter how much gas i put in there it still is hard to pulll but when i take the plug out it moves freely

Search this Thread