ward rider wont start

Old 04-15-07, 12:22 PM
ward rider wont start

I have a Mont Ward rider that won't start. All last year it ran fine untill my teen decided to remove the key which would not go back in. I wired in a push button for start not knowing how actually they are wired(oops). I made several attempts to locate a schematic so I could determine thi wiring but was unsuccessful in locating one. That all being said, i was able to get the tractor to run for a short while, but it has since quit working and will not fire off. I traced down the wiring and found that the wire for the coil was not hooked up, so I re-hooked it up and it still has no spark.
This is a 12hp tecumseh motor model number from what i can tell is OVXL120 202003B The model number on the tractor is tmo33925a/a148h.

Any schematics or tips would be greatly appreciated, don't really want to push an acre.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-07, 05:12 PM
Azis
Visiting Guest
You may find a manual in the MTD archive http://manuals.mtdproducts.com/mtd/public/list.jsp
Some of the owners manuals had/have wiring diagrams.
If the kill wire is disconnected from the coil (assuming you don't have points) and you still have no spark then the coil is bad. If there was voltage on that wire at any time its a safe bet the coil may indeed be bad.
If you replace it check the wire with the key in all positions for voltage before reconnecting.

Old 04-15-07, 07:50 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Are you still trying to do this with a push button for starting?

Old 04-17-07, 06:22 PM
ward tractor not wirking

yese i am still using the push button, but I now have the wire that should be hot during ignition is now on a toggle switch.

Old 04-17-07, 06:33 PM
Azis
In response to your reply, I have 2 questions. 1 if the "kill" wire is the one that goes to the block then yes it is disconnected. 2. When talking about the coil, is it the item mounted next to the fly wheel?

Old 04-17-07, 08:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
What is wrong with it that you have to use push button and toggle switches instead of a regular $9 keyswitch like it had? To wire this thing up with switches like you've got, you're going to have to have one to start it, one to stop it, possibly one for a carb solenoid if equipped, plus possibly other wiring modifications for charging system depending on how yours is wired. Why not just replace the original keyswitch?

The coil may be bad if it had power applied to it. Sounds like that's a good chance with all the switches/wiring going on here.

Old 04-18-07, 05:39 PM
Unfortunealy at the time I was short of ideas due to lack of expeience on small engines, so I being an hvac tech thought I could just re-wire and use a push button off of my service truck(oops). I have since thrown away the original plug and am left with the push button and toggle switch. I think that due to the age of the tractor that there is no charging system and definetly no solenoid on the carb. I basiclly have the wire form the start solenoid that goes to one side of the push button with a jumper to the toggle switch for the coil. I have 3 wires going up and under the fly wheel which I think are the coil, headlights and ground. I crank all day long but have no spark though there is approx 12vdc going to it. I will try a new coil and attempt to locate a ignition switch with a lug. Thanks for your response.

Old 04-19-07, 10:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
12 volts going to the coil??? No...don't put a new coil on it with 12 volts going to it or you'll burn up the new coil too. The wires that run up under the engine shroud are the charge wire, lighting power supply wire, and the coil kill wire. The coil does not connect to a power wire. If it does get voltage, it will be toast.

Old 04-21-07, 06:18 PM
Unhappy

Ok unsure now how the coil is powered up then. The 3 wires going up and under the fly wheel should not have 12vdc applied to 1 wire and 1 for ground and the last for charging? How does the coil get power applied to create the spark?

Old 04-21-07, 06:32 PM
Magnets on the flywheel provide power to the coil! If you send 12V to the coil and/or charging system (under the flywheel) you will fry them. You must use the proper key switch. Consult your local MTD service center for parts lookup and a new, correct switch.

Old 04-21-07, 06:35 PM
The coil gets its power from magnets on the flywheel which when spun past the coil fast enough (from the starter) generates electricity for the spark plug(s). The wire you see going to the coil is the kill wire which stops the coil from giving spark to your spark plug and therefore shuts down the engine. The coil is not designed in any way to receive power from the battery and if it does, you will most certainly ruin the coil. This is why it is important to have the proper key switch because the wrong switch will give power to the coil.

Old 05-05-07, 04:27 AM
Ok tractor starts now, just need to purchase a new ignitionkey and how to re-wire it in. All wires are accounted for except for 1 coming from under the flywheel which I believe is for the charging system. The other wire looks to run the lights Model of tractor is tmo33925/a14sh and its a Montgomery Ward oldddddddddddd tractor any help is appreciated.

Old 05-05-07, 06:27 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
If you check this link (which I posted once prior) http://manuals.mtdproducts.com/mtd/public/list.jsp
You can find an owners manual for your tractor and engine. The owners manual for the tractor has an Illustrated parts list as well as a wiring diagram.
The ignition switch part # listed in said manual is:725-0267