Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

engine starts then dies...

NY

06-09-07, 03:12 PM   #41  
Success! (partly anyway)

One of the alternator wires was broken so I replaced the whole alternator an that works now...

When I replaced the alternator, I noticed the timing key was sheared. Replaced that and now this engine runs PERFECTLY SMOOTH! Didn't need that carb kit but oh well.

Another thing, after I washed this tractor, the key switch didn't work so I jumped it at the starter. I mowed a lawn for about 15 min. and when I shut it down, the key switch would start it . So it seems to only happen when the engine is cold. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-10-07, 10:57 PM   #42  
Check the connections on the switch. The battery terminal on the switch tends to get rusty and lose connection.

A sheared flywheel key on a twin cylinder engine? That's almost unheard of unless someone has been into it before and didn't torque the flywheel nut tight enough.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

NY

06-11-07, 06:04 AM   #43  
It's possible the previous owner had the flywheel off. That plate under the flywheel that the shroud screws onto was missing all the screws which I think is what cut the alternator wire. The flywheel nut came off pretty easy too...

Search this Thread