Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Oil filter is stuck...knuckles are bleeding!!

WI

04-16-07, 06:04 PM   #1  
Oil filter is stuck...knuckles are bleeding!!

Hi all,
I have a John Deere L115 with a B & S V-twin engine, purchased less than a year ago. Today, I tried to change the oil, and install a new oil filter. I cannot remove the oil filter. I tried a strap wrench. No go. I bought a fitted oil filter wrench that fits over the end of the filter. Using a big adjustable wrench, I started to twist. No go. In fact, I broke it, and actually twisted the metal of the filter, but it won't unscrew. It is the original factory installed filter.
I AM turning counter clockwise, by the way.
Does anyone have any ideas? This certainly isn't rocket science!
My bleeding knuckles and I will be grateful for any suggestions.
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

04-16-07, 07:46 PM   #2  
Azis
I think mr deere should change your oil. Especially if less than a year old.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-16-07, 08:17 PM   #3  
I agree...it's under warranty, and further attempts to remove the filter could potentially break something. The only other suggestion I can make is to try removing it with the engine good and hot. This may not be possible since the filter may be damaged too much to run the engine now. Warranty is probably the safest bet.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

04-17-07, 03:04 AM   #4  
Another trick that sometimes works is to try and tighten the filter a little then loosen.

WI

04-17-07, 03:27 PM   #5  
Thank you everyone for the suggestions. Today I called the dealer, who confirmed that others had had the same issue with that engine. He suggested a large Channel-Lock pliers. I went to the local hardware store and discovered that Channel-Lock makes a specially modified pliers just for removing oil filters! I bought a small one (they come in large and small), and with a LOT of muscle, the filter eventually came off. The new filter is now installed (PROPER tightness!), my hand is healing, and all is well.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-17-07, 09:02 PM   #6  
Glad you got it off! Thanks for the update.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread