No spark on a Kohler

Old 04-16-07, 06:16 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
No spark on a Kohler

Hi, Guys, I'm back with another head banger?? I have the greens mower from the local golf course. It has a Kohler Magnum 16, Model M16s-711533, Spec 4552261, & serial 2725107501 engine. It has no spark. It is a replacement short block as the origional threw a rod. They replaced it & had no spark. They tried 2 new coils (kohler # 47 584 03-s) & still no spark. Now I've got it & have adjusted the coil to flywheel magnet gap @0.010, Tried it with the kill wire disconnected, Kill wire grounded (like some lawnboys) & still no spark. I'm using an air gap spark tester @ 0.020 & grounded to a head bolt. Any suggestions on this would be appreciated!! Thanks Lots, Roger

Old 04-16-07, 07:03 PM
Azis
Visiting Guest
I dont have a very good source for Kohler manuals. I do have a service manual for CV11-16.
I currently have a CV12.5 that quits after sometime of running.
Just looking through it for my problem and noticed a decent explanation and trouble shooting for CD(Capacitive Discharge) system.
If you have that or just want the manual I would email it to ya. Its about 6mb.

Old 04-16-07, 08:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Do the magnets on the flywheel have magnetic attraction? This old magnum just has 2 coils and no other ignition components other than the plugs, correct? The coil armature laminations aren't insulated from the block are they?

Old 04-17-07, 06:39 PM
Hi Azis, Thanks for the offer of the manual. I'd appriciate it. Thank You.

Hi Cheese, This is a single cylinder engine with 1 coil. The laminations are not insulated from the block & the magnets have a very strong pull. There are 2 magnets on the flywheel, & the coil has 3 "legs" to it. The 2 on each end & 1 thru the center of the coil. There doesen't appear to be any more to the ignition system than that. It has a voltage regulator, But that should be only part of the charging system.

The strange part to me, It was running 'till it threw the rod, & now no spark. I thank everyone for there help, (as will the golfers!!)

Thanks Again, Roger
(P.S) Have checked the flywheel key & re-torqued the flywheel. Looks good in there!!

Old 04-17-07, 08:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Oh, single cylinder (I didn't look up the model#). If the coil is the only component (no points), the lamintations are grounded to the block, the magnets on the flywheel are good, the air gap is properly set, the kill wire is disconnected and you still have no spark with a good plug, then the coil is bad.

Old 04-18-07, 05:54 PM
Hi Cheese, The coil is my thought as well, but they have already had 2 new Kohler #47 584 03-s coils on it. The origional one is in a box of parts they sent, the second one was apparently sent back defective & now the new one that is on it. I'm going to try the original one tomorrow & let you know how I make out. There isn't enough parts to it to be too complicated??

Thanks Again, Roger

Old 04-18-07, 06:55 PM
Azis
Visiting Guest
Hi hopkin,
I do have that manual and it includes a few tests for the coil. It does seem to conclude with the coil either good or bad, however its not always the case.
Basically if you check the resistance in ohms from the laminations to the spark plug lead, reading should be between 7,900 and 18,400. If outside the secondary is shorted or open.

If you send me a pm with an email address, I will send the file if you still want it.

Old 04-19-07, 03:29 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
The Kohler part number they have indicated that they replaced is the correct part number for the coil. You can't afford to assume that they're "new" coil is good. You need to purchase a new Kohler coil and try it for yourself. It certainly appears you have performed all the steps correctly and, therefore need to install a new coil and then check for spark.

Old 04-20-07, 07:14 PM
www.kohlerplus.com

You can go to the Kohler site listed above and log on as a guest. There you can download service literature and illustrated parts lists as well.

Be sure the ignition module is installed correctly as I think that they can be installed upside down (much like a briggs) and will fail to generate any spark.

One note, when going to the Kohler site, you have to use internet explorer as other browsers may not work on their site.

Old 04-20-07, 07:35 PM
Azis
Visiting Guest
Maybe I aint seein it until I say I cant find the site listed above tech...?

Old 04-20-07, 07:53 PM
I thought maybe I misspelled it, but I pasted into my browser and it took me to the login page, just click the button thats labeled enter as guest to get in.

Be sure you are using internet explorer

Old 04-20-07, 08:20 PM
Azis
Visiting Guest
I dont see a url address to copy...?

Old 04-20-07, 08:23 PM
It's in the title (subject line) www.kohlerplus.com

Old 04-20-07, 08:29 PM
Azis
Visiting Guest
Doh ok thx.
I been lookin for where I put that site since the last time you posted it. I have been using manuals I knew I got from there the last few days heh. I found it marked in my favs in IE, piece of junk
I use firefox

Old 04-20-07, 08:34 PM
I use firefox too, except when I need info on Kohler engines, cause firefox won't work on their site!

Old 04-20-07, 08:39 PM
Azis
Visiting Guest
rite on, I see a lot of the sites are catching up, keep the pressure on

Old 04-21-07, 03:37 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Hopkinsr2, any update yet?

Old 04-21-07, 08:49 AM
M
Backwards

Coil is mounted backwards, had irt happen on a Honda and the same thing happened. It was a twin and if you took the left coil and put it on the right it would have spark, move it to left and no spark you could do the same with the right. Turns out my tech was inverting when moving the coil.

Old 04-28-07, 10:30 AM
Sorry for taking so long. Lots of stuff to fix. I tried a new Kohler coil & still no spark. I'm on my way to see if it's backward as 30yeartech & mowerh8tr suggest. I've been looking @ it as it was when it was delivered. I'll be in touch. Thanks everyone!! Roger

Old 04-28-07, 11:14 AM
It Runs Again!!!

Thank-You everyone for all the help.I just tried turning the coil over as 30yeartech & mowerh8tr suggested & now LOTS of spark!! This coil will mount both ways, but now It works great! You Guys are the best, & Thanks Again. This is one lession I'll never forget!! Roger

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: