Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

John Deere L110 blades not engaging

04-17-07, 12:04 PM   #1  
John Deere L110 blades not engaging

I have a John Deere L110 with a manual PTO lever. The engine runs fine, but the blades were not engaging. So I replaced the drive belt. Now the blades will only engage when the mower deck is at it highest setting (4 inch). They will not engage at anything lower. If I engage them at the 4 inch deck height and attempt to drop the deck height, they drop rpms when I lower it 3.5 inches and completely disengage at 3 inches. So I'm thinking it has to be a tension/slippage issue. I have the PTO cable bracket pulled as far back as possible on the deck to increase the belt tension.

Any thoughts on what adjustments to start with would be greatly appreciated. The JD owner's manual is less than helpful with troubleshooting drive belt/blade issues.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-17-07, 09:17 PM   #2  
Hello Bears Fan,

What kind of belt did you install? Any numbers on it?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

04-18-07, 06:38 AM   #3  
I installed the JD factory replacement belt for 42" decks that I picked up from Lowes (model # GX20072).

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-19-07, 10:41 PM   #4  
That's the right belt as far as I can tell. Have you looked underneath and watched the movement of the tensioner pulley to make sure it's moving the full amount, and that it's on the correct side of the belt?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

04-23-07, 12:51 PM   #5  
Figured it out. The bolt that holds the idler arm to the deck was stripped causing the arm to move up and down. Replaced the bolt and the blades engage at all heights again.

Search this Thread