Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

20HP Briggs is surging

NC

04-18-07, 01:49 PM   #1  
20HP Briggs is surging

More surging engines. My B&S v-2 has started to surge when it runs. I can get it to level out by adjusting the choke.
This engine is about 6 years old and has never been messed with. It runs strong without having been tuned up.
I'm finally headed to NAPA for a couple of plugs and a fuel filter. Should I expect more trouble or can the surging be from these alone?

Sponsored Links

MO

04-18-07, 02:32 PM   #2  
The surging is probably caused by the carb starting to get dirty and restricting fuel flow. You probably should change the fuel filter if it has one and you might open the fuel mixture jet about 1/8 - 1/4 turn to see if it the surging improves. I hope you have changed oil and air filter in the 6 years. Have a good one. Geo

NC

04-18-07, 08:38 PM   #3  
Oh yeah...

Those things I've done and I actually took a wire tooth brush to the plugs once. Two belts and I sharpen my own blades. I meant that I never broke down and had Mr. Twiford come pick it up for a professional tuneup. It just keeps on running.

NY

04-19-07, 03:05 AM   #4  
As Geo indicated, you will have a restriction in the carburetor and will need to address this. The fuel filter replacement will likely yield no improvement but I certainly recommend doing this anyhow. We need more information before we can guide you through any carburetor troubleshooting. We need the engine model, type and code numbers, please. This carburetor likely has no adjustable mixture screws as it is likely a fixed jet carb, but we should be able to get you at the main and pilot jets to clean them, if we know what you, specifically, have for an engine.

NC

04-30-07, 07:12 PM   #5  
Success!

I bought some plugs and a filter.

The filter I removed was a clean as a whistle but I went ahead and installed the new one anyway. Put on some new fuel line too.

The plugs are a no brainer. Gapped them with a paper match. Paper matches are factory spec and have been since the mid 70's.

I also got out my starting fluid and carb cleaner and was able to clean the carb without taking it off of the engine. I had to remove the top and float but then everything was visible. Sprayed and air cleaned and got a lot of junk out.

This thing runs like a champ. A carb overhaul is probably in order but I only need to get a few more years out of her till my John Deere come in. If it runs like this for a while, I won't worry much about the carb anyway. But I promise if it get jammed up again, I'll send her in to Mr. Twiford for a professional tweaking.

Search this Thread