Ryobi 775R Fuel Filter problem

Old 04-21-07, 02:59 PM
Ryobi 775R Fuel Filter problem

I have a Ryobi 775R Weedeater and I am replacing the fuel filter on it. I have the new one with the hose installed on it and the problem is it doesn't want to go through the correct hole in the fuel tank. I have tried but it is very tight and I can't get it to full seat to the bottom of the tank where it is supposted to be. Do you have any ideas on how to get it to go fully down ?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-07, 06:07 PM
Try dipping the new fuel line in hot water to make it flexible, then try inserting it into the fuel tank.

In my experience, the easiest way to change a fuel filter on a weedeater is to insert the fuel line through the tank so that it comes out the fuel cap hole. Then install the filter onto the fuel line and pull it into the tank.

Old 04-21-07, 07:24 PM
775R Fuel Filter problem

The problem is with the line on the filter it is too thick to go through the hole in the gas tank. The line is already on the filter. I just can't get it to go down another 1/2 inch to rest against the bottom of the tank where it belongs.

Old 04-21-07, 08:33 PM
Just gotta work it down, I pull on the hose to stretch it out and rotate it in a circular motion until the nipple from the filter extends down through the hole in the tank. Be careful that you stop when the nipple has extended out of the tank or you can pull the hose off the end of the filter...

Good Luck

Old 04-22-07, 04:36 AM
775R Fuel Filter Problem

Yes, I have tried pulling on the hose too and using a hooked screwdriver to help push on top of the filter inside the tank. It is a very tight fit and just does not want to go in like it should

Old 04-22-07, 05:25 PM
It must be a tight fit as the fuel line provides a seal so that you don't get a fuel leak at the point where it enters the tank. Yes, it is difficult but be sure you have the correct size OD fuel line! As msidan indicated, it is easier to insert the fuel line from the outside of the tank feeding the line out the fuel filler neck and then attaching the fuel pickup/filter and then drawing it back in the tank to a suitable position. This requires an extra length of fuel line to accomplish this and you then cut it down to the needed length to attach to the carburetor fitting without kinking it.

Old 04-22-07, 05:34 PM
775R Fuel Filter Problems

Yes indeed it is very tight fit. I've got the line through the tank and fitted on the filter, but when I try to get it pulled into its hole to the proper depth, it just won't go. I can get it to the bottom of the tank, but the tip of the filter where it goes into the line, just won't go through the hole to where it belongs.

Old 04-23-07, 05:45 AM
I used to have the same trimmer as you. I didn't realize the configuration before posting previously; the tank is right on top of the trimmer and the holes in the gas tank are on the bottom of the tank, right? So that the fuel filter is stationary when you're done.

I only ever got the filter to come out the hole about 1/3 of the way and it was just fine. As long as you're not getting a leak, it should be fine.

Old 04-24-07, 06:19 PM
775R FuelFilter Problems

Yes, that is it. But I don't think I can even get it in a 1/3 of the way. It just barely starts in the hole and thats it. I've tried pulling on the hose and pushing down on the top at the same time.