Wheel Horse Model 416-8 Tractor

Old 04-22-07, 03:55 PM
Wheel Horse Model 416-8 Tractor

I have a Wheelhorse Tractor and was mowing the lawn just fine the other day when I shut it off to talk to my wife. Now when I attempt to start it the PTO CLUTCH light comes on and it does nothing. I shut it down with the blade engaged but I have done that before and been able to restart after disengaging.

I tried to jump the starter but it make a dead klunk no whirl or turning over of the engine at all...

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-07, 05:14 PM
Double and triple check that all required controls are disengaged and/or in neutral for starting procedures. It sure sounds as simple as this.

Old 04-22-07, 06:24 PM
Everything is set

Yeah , i did all that with no success. I have been working on this problem for over a week and the grass is getting deep. Everything is disengaged (mower deck) motion control is in neutral. I disconnected the battery today thinking it might some how reset the PTO safety switch...no go

Old 04-22-07, 08:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Can you turn the engine by hand?

Old 04-23-07, 12:44 PM
Smile Found It!! Thanks

Well,

My wife was on me to do something about the lawn. So, I decided to try to push mow the yard until I got the Wheel Horse fixed. I used a 4hp 21 inch cut mower to mow a 1 acre lot.

So after about 1/4-1/3 acre I was highly motivated to fix the riding mower. I could turn the motor by hand. I check every wire and fuse I could find...then i found a relay assembly tucked away out of sight. I took a close look at it and found it was a switch with a zip tie around it...turns out to be the PTO switch and the previous owner removed it and put a zip tie on it to close the switch. So, the tie had come off and released the switch...put the tie back on and started like a charm..

My wife thought it was pretty funny that I had push mowed all that lawn before figuring out the problem.

Thanks for all your help...you guys kept me going in the right direction and saved me a alot of time and money!

Old 04-23-07, 06:45 PM
I wish we could take credit for getting you repaired, but, we can't. Pat yourself on the back. You did this with no help from us. Congratulations!