Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

engine worth repairing

04-22-07, 08:37 PM   #1  
engine worth repairing

I Have A 7 Year Old Craftsman Riding Mower With A 16 Hp Briggs And Straton Motor. It Blew A Valve After It Was 2 Years Old And Repaired. Just After Starting, I Had A Very Loud Backfire And The Engine Died And Will Not Restart. I Am Very Good At Keeping The Mower Maintained. I Have Tried New Plug, New Air Filter, Fuel Filter And Oil, Fuel Change. The Mower Ran Great Prior To This, Now It Just Spins To Start, And Backfires. It Is Not Worth A Large Repair, Engine, Or Is It Something Simple Any Advice Would Be Appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links

NY

04-23-07, 12:24 PM   #2  
Sounds like the timing key sheared. Was it backfiring through the carb? Take the flywheel off and check the timing key.

If it's just a timing key, yes it's worth fixing. Timing keys are very cheap (about a dollar) and could probably be found at your local hardware store.

NY

04-23-07, 06:56 PM   #3  
msidan is heading you in the right direction inthat a backfire is most likely an ignition related issue. But, it could be a valve issue whereas if a valve is still open/not sealing during the ignition of the fuel you will certainly get a bang. More so related to the intake valve but not necessarily limited to such. When the valve issue was previously serviced, was, too, the valve seat serviced? Did the valve seat loosen in the cylinder block? And, if so, was the valve seat staked back in to place? Post back with some more information if you would please. Tractor model and serial numbers as well as engine make and ID numbers from such along with answers to the above questions. The timing key (flywheel key) that msidan mentioned is what keeps the ignition in time and if sheared will definitely cause a backfire. Typically, though, the only time this key will shear is if you have removed the flywheel and failed to properly torque the flywheel nut to spec.

Search this Thread