2 Cycle LawnBoy - Very Rough Start

Old 04-23-07, 07:51 AM
Exclamation 2 Cycle LawnBoy - Very Rough Start

I have an older 2 cycle lawnboy mower. Model 10301. It has run great since I got it for free. I replaced the gas tank recently because the old one cracked.

Since I replaced the gas tank and got some fresh gas and oil, It has been hard to start. Literally. Last week I went to start it and I couldn't pull the starter without really yanking on it. Like it was almost locked up. While I pulled it, it was making noise like it wasn't lubricated, very rough. It started up and ran fine while I mowed. No smoke, good power. I figured it was a fluke of some sort.

I went to start it yesterday and the same thing happened, although not as extreme. It just sounds like it's not being lubed right or the oil and gas in the crank case is somehow escaping after it sits for a while. After I get it started, it runs fine and pulls OK, but not outstanding after that.

The only thing I can think of is that I did get gas from a different place this time, but I used the same oil and same mixture I always do.

Could bad gas cause this? What other advice do you have for me?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-07, 08:26 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
If you removed the recoil starter during the new tank installation, sounds like somin coulda got outa sorts with it. Prolly not a problem with the engine.

Old 04-23-07, 08:31 AM
Originally Posted by Azis View Post
If you removed the recoil starter during the new tank installation, sounds like somin coulda got outa sorts with it. Prolly not a problem with the engine.
Thanks for the reply!

I didn't remove the starter, just unhooked the rope from the handle so I could thread it through the gas tank/shroud. The rope stayed outside the starter via the metal clip that is attached to the rope.

Is there a way I need to check the starter? Maybe something it rubbing on something else when I am pulling on it?

Old 04-23-07, 04:23 PM
Possibly the ignition module is loose and rubbing the flywheel, or perhaps there is a problem with the engine brake and or cable that it is not releasing completly and rubbing on the flywheel, check when you squeeze the engine control handle that the cable is moving the brake lever and disengaging it.

Old 04-23-07, 07:45 PM
Thumbs up

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Once I had the metal shroud containing the starter off and disengaged the brake, I was able to turn the blade and the motor freely. No bad sounds at all so it wasn't the motor. I checked the ignition module clearance with the flywheel and it was good.

As I turned the blade, I noticed I had a bunch of grass debris under the deck that was rubbing against the blade when I pulled the starter. That was most of the sound. I just cleaned it and I can't believe it was already built up like it was! There was one time I mowed the lawn this season and it was still a bit wet, I guess it was very wet as there was a lot of it.

I heard of this stuff called Mow EZ or the like that helps clean decks. Anyone have any experience with something like that? I'd be afraid with as old as this deck is it'd just fall apart!

I cleaned it all out so there was no rubbing and she runs great and starts like it should.

Thanks for the replies!