Craftsman Garden Tractor Mower Deck

Old 04-23-07, 02:48 PM
Question Craftsman Garden Tractor Mower Deck

I am trying to replace the shaft assemblies for the three blades on my 50 inch mower deck. I cannot loosen the nut at the top of the shaft assemblies as there is no way to grab hold of the shaft. There is a pulley at the top of the shaft and it has two 1/8 inch diameter holes on opposite sides. It appears to me that the way to loosen the nut is to hold the pulley still. However, I do not know how to do that. Is there a tool that is used for this? If so, what is it an where do I get it? Also, if you have any other suggestions, I would appreciate them.

Handynot

Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-07, 03:39 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Either a spanner wrench that will fit the two holes, or use a strap wrench on the pulleys, similar to an oil filter wrench..

Old 04-23-07, 06:41 PM
If you have the deck dismounted from the tractor and you have no air compressor, I suggest taking it to either and automotive or small engine repair shop and they'll likley remove these at no charge to you using their 1/2" impact gun. If, on the other hand, you don't have the deck off and you'd rather not do such then reinstall the blades and wedge a piece of wood block between the blade and the housing on each respective nut you're attempting to remove and then try to remove the nut using a suitable length wrench (for leverage purposes) of the exact size of the nut.

Old 04-24-07, 03:28 PM
Smile Craftsman Garden Tractor Mower Deck

Thanks guys for your help. I had the deck off of the tractor and the impact wrench made short work of two of the three shafts. However, on the third shaft which also had the drive pulley, I had to use a strap wrench to keep the shaft from turning. Fortunately this did not take much effort. Your tips are really appreciated by me and my brainstorming buddies. We were at a real loss for a solution to this problem.

Handynot

Old 04-25-07, 12:07 PM
That's good news and don't forget to use Anti-Seize upon reassembly on the threaded parts to prevent this from happening in the future.