replacement ring gear and starter gear MTD

Old 04-24-07, 01:49 PM
replacement ring gear and starter gear MTD

I recently picked up a non running MTD lawn tractor w/engine model=287707 Type=0224-01 Code=9602142D Briggs and stratton 14.5 hp OHV. I was told the camshaft was the reason it didn't run, after inspecting I found the cam to be operating the valves correctly even with the compression release, although I had to reset the valve lash it was maybe .010-.015 off. I can't seem to get power to the starter from the battery but thats another project. I jumped the starter from my truck and it turns great, but not the flywheel ring gear, theres about 50% of the teeth sheared off of it. I've been looking for replacements for it and the starter gear but no one seems to carry the ring gear for the 287707 engine model. My question...is there another engine that would use a compatible ring gear and if so does anyone happen to know a reliable supplier? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-07, 03:59 PM
Azis
Visiting Guest
If your ring gear is plastic or aluminum, there is a replacement, if it is steel, it is only available with the flywheel kit.
Briggs part #399676
Briggs part #693557 is the flywheel and steel ring gear.

You can check with any local small engine repair that is authorized briggs dealer for original parts.
Or the briggs web site.
http://www.briggsandstratton.com/display/router.asp?DocID=64103

Old 04-25-07, 12:05 PM
The 399676 part number that Azis gave you is an old number, the new, superceded number is 696537 and the plastic starter gear part number is 695708.

Old 04-25-07, 03:41 PM
Azis
Visiting Guest
Thx Puey, that is happening more and more, the briggs drawings are old heh! The old number will eventually get the right person to the right part at least I have found so far.