Noma won't start

Old 04-25-07, 04:39 PM
Noma won't start

I have a noma with a 12.5 briggs that won't start. last year the carb started acting up so I rebuilt it. I started it up and ran it around the yard for about five min. turned it off and went in for dinner, came back out started it back up ran it for about two min. and it died. Turns over but won't fire. Has spark and fuel. I took the carb back apart to make sure it was together right, everything was fine. I tried alittle starting fluid through the carb but it just backfires once. It seems like it's out of time so I also checked the flywheel and the key is in place. since it was late in the year and I've been really busy working I left it in the garage over winter trying to forget about it, but the wife just reminded me that the grass is starting to grow again. I don't know what else to try, besides a better built lawn tractor ( not in the budget right now) any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks Jeff

Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-07, 05:31 PM
Group Moderator
What made you think it was the carb. acting up last year (and made you tinker with it)?

How do you know it has spark and fuel?

Generally if it starts and runs for a while and then dies I look at fuel.

It sounds like you were running from the fuel in the carb bowl. Is there a fuel shutoff you turned off before working on the carb? Is a fuel line pinched or clogged?

Old 04-26-07, 06:43 PM
Hi ,thanks for the reply. I worked on the carb because the bowl leaked fuel, and the linkage to the butterfly broke causing it to flucuate the throttle speed. I do have a shut off for the fuel and I also thought that was it but I did have it turned on. also when I took the carb off to check it the bowl was full. I pulled the spark plug and turned it over with plug attached to wire (Has spark). I then proceeded to put a squrt of fuel through the carb wth the air cleaner removed ( this should at least let it run breifly) all I get is a breif back fire after the engine is turning over for about 4 or 5 seconds.

Old 04-27-07, 12:48 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
From your last description, I'd say you have a bad plug, sheared flywheel key, or a stuck valve.