Kohler Courage Series

Old 05-23-07, 04:43 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Kohler Courage Series

My neighbor has a Cub Cadet with a Kohler SV600-0009, 597cc engine. It runs pretty good wide open, but it does not idle very smooth. The crazy idle mixture adjustment screw has a plastic lock and only allows about 150 degrees of movement. I can't tell any difference when I screw it from lock to lock. I am tempted to break the lock and try some other settings. Any suggestions???
Joe

Old 05-23-07, 06:11 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I believe that there are no service kits/parts for the Courage carburetors, so, I'd recommend removing the carb, disassembling it and soaking it in a bath cleaner (I like Napa #6402), spraying it with a carb/choke cleaner (I like Briggs & Stratton p/n 100042) and blowing it out with compressed air. This should clear out the passageways and get you back running well. Hopefully, though, you can keep the bowl gasket and bowl nut gasket in good enough shape to reuse them.

Old 05-23-07, 06:42 PM
R
Kohler carburetor

Thanks PUEY61. Should I remove the idle mixture screw by breaking the tab or do this soaking and blowing without removing the screw? Thanks, Joe

Old 05-24-07, 02:22 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Remove the needle by whatever means so as to give you access to the passageway for purposes of blowing this out with compressed air. You need to note the position (turns out from seated) of the need before you remove it so that you get it back to where it was at.

Old 05-24-07, 12:23 PM
I'd be inclined to leave it alone. Air cooled engines really shouldn't be run at idle very much as the fan won't move enough air to keep the motor properly cooled or the hydro fan at it's desgned rpm for cooling. The hydros don't work nearly as well at low RPMs as they do at or near full throttle.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: