Mower won't re-start

Old 04-30-07, 06:59 PM
Mower won't re-start

My mower won't restart after running anywhere from 20-40 minutes. Tried removing the gas cap, but that worked once.

Now I have to wait at least 30 minutes before it will restart.

Any ideas, thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-07, 07:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Any information? Maybe a bad coil, but we don't know what you have.

Old 04-30-07, 08:41 PM
Sorry I should have mentioned the mower is an Ariens w/ 6.5 Hp Tecumseh engine.

Old 04-30-07, 09:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Does it stall, or is it just hard to start after shutting it off when hot?

Old 05-01-07, 07:40 AM
It won't start at all. It acts as though there is no spark when the engine is warm.

Old 05-01-07, 09:59 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
I think cheese was asking if it stops running on its own, Then will not restart...?
Unless it stalls and perhaps sputters or acts as though it ran out of gas, I would agree you may have a coil going bad.
Check for spark when it will not start.

Old 05-01-07, 10:52 AM
Smile

I had a similar problem and the crankshaft shear pin was partial sheared, also the magnet on the flywheel was severely rusted. After taking sand paper to the magnet and replacing the shear bin it ran fine. gary

Old 05-01-07, 07:37 PM
similar problem

Hi. I have a similar problem to the one thoppy1977 is having so I thought I should post my message here.

I have a 4hp B&S sitting on top of a 22" Murray walk-behind. It will run for about 10 minutes of so and then just stalls. I can start it again after a few pulls but it will only run for 30 seconds tops then stalls again. When it is running it runs good but "sputters" every couple seconds - for lack of a better word. Like it's "sputtering" but just for a brief amount of time then it idles normally. It will do this even if it's sitting still and I'm not pushing it. When I first start it, it runs beautifully. Then within maybe 10-15 seconds the sputtering starts.

I've replaced the plug and the air filter. I noticed a few specs of dirt in the bottom of the tank so I took the tank off and drained the gas and washed out the dirt as best as I could. Seems almost as though it's overheating? I didn't notice any debris around the engine.

Any suggestions, please?

Old 05-01-07, 09:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Thoppy1977...have you checked to see if it has spark?

Flyersfan72...is the air filter caked up with junk? New spark plug? If you have a clean filter and new plug, I'd suggest replacing the carburetor diaphragm.

Old 05-02-07, 08:20 PM
I'll will check for no spark the next time I mow and this happens. Mower is at my parents house.