Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

? about mower oil

FL

05-01-07, 02:33 PM   #1  
? about mower oil

Hello,

Recently my father passed away, and I now have a box full of stuff from his shed. In question are 8 20 ounce plastic bottles of SAE 30 4-cycle lawn mower motor oil. The botlles have never been opened but are years old (i.e. < 10 yrs old). Do you believe they are still usable?

Many thanks for your replies, Majac777.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

05-01-07, 03:33 PM   #2  
Azis
I would be willing to bet there are some mowers out there that have run that long on the same oil
If it has been kept dark and cool I would trust it.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

05-01-07, 03:53 PM   #3  
As long as the oil is in a sealed container it should be fine. The oils of yesterday are not the same as the oils of today so you might want to check if the oil is appropriate for the engine you intend to use it in. Probably not a problem with small engines.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

PA

05-02-07, 01:58 PM   #4  
If unopened, I agree that it's probably fine to use it. Now if it was really old, like from the days oil came in cardboard cans... I'd say it might have water in it. I've got a couple of quarts like that in my collection.... don't know what to use them for.

FL

05-02-07, 03:44 PM   #5  
Many thanks

Thank you for all your replies. You all have a great one!
Majac777

Search this Thread