Briggs Lawn Tractor dies when engaging blades

Old 05-01-07, 05:33 PM
Briggs Lawn Tractor dies when engaging blades

Hi everyone, I am having a problem with My 18 HP Twin II Briggs mower, the engine model # is 422707. It was working fine. The only thing I did we to loop the safety switch under the seat together. Now when I start it and engage the blade, it automatically dies. The blades turn freely by hand when it's off. I went back and rewired the seat switch, but now it doesn't work, and will start and run even if no one is on the mower. I prefer not to have the seat switch. I just cleaned out the carb. completely also. The problem is only when engaged. Any help is appreciated.

Brandon

Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-07, 09:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The seat switch and/or related wiring is the problem still. You said you prefer to not have the seat switch, and then said now it starts and runs without someone on the mower, right? That's the same effect as you would have if you didn't have the switch. If this is an AYP mower, you can't just jump the terminals to bypass it. They designed it to not be so easily bypassed.

Old 05-02-07, 03:25 AM
So what can I do? Do I need to replace something, since the wiring seems to not work now?

Old 05-02-07, 05:44 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
Replace the seat switch.

Old 05-02-07, 04:55 PM
Nope.. It ended up being a switch up onder the dash, a four-prong switch, that controls the blade safety switch (don't know the actual term). Replaced it, and all is good. Thanks all.

Old 05-02-07, 05:40 PM
Azis
Visiting Guest
You likely have other wiring issues then.

Search this Thread