Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Craftsman ride on mower

05-05-07, 05:23 AM   #1  
Craftsman ride on mower

I have a Craftsman 16.0 HP electric start ride on mower Mod.944.60053 with a Briggs & Stratton OHV turbo cool engine Mod.310707 purchased from Sears June 2004. It has started blowing the 20 amp fuse quite frequently. I have plugged a test light into the fuse recepticle in place of the fuse and wiggled wires (ignition off ) and ignition on and found nothing to indicate a short.
Can anyone help. I'm new to this and will appreciate any help I can get. A 70 year old guy who wants to try it himself.

Sponsored Links

05-05-07, 04:39 PM   #2  
Do you have a link to the wiring diagram?

I wasn't able to find one with a quick search.

Mainly need to know exactly what's on the circuit with the fuse and to check wire path for any inherent rubbing points.

05-05-07, 07:19 PM   #3  
craftsman ride on mower

Thanks much for your reply buy I don't have a link to the electrical diagram.
What I have done so far is use a yest light in place of the fuse and wiggled wires all over the place and found nothing. I disconnected everything that I could find connected to anything, inspected the wires and cleaned all connections. I used the mower quite a bit today and had no problem, maybe I solved it without even knowing it I sure hope so.

If it starts happening again will hve to look furthet
Thanks very much for offering to help
Bugsy02

NY

05-06-07, 05:06 AM   #4  
Yes, you may have unknowingly repaired the trouble. Corroded connections can cause spikes in electrical current and blow a fuse. Generally, though, it will be a bare wire and perhaps you moved a wire, only temporarily, and it may show up again once the suspect wire (unknown which) "settles" and reappears.

05-06-07, 07:01 AM   #5  
craftsman ride on mower

Thanks Puey61
I think I will check again especially for soemthing that could be hidden and susceptible to rubbing causing a bare wire somewhere.

Search this Thread