Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Craftsman 6.0 Self Propelled Lawn Mower

VA

05-05-07, 05:07 PM   #1  
Craftsman 6.0 Self Propelled Lawn Mower

Little background on where I'm at with my lawn mower:

Lawn mower would not start after sitting all winter. Treated the gas last November, tried to start 1 week ago, and would not start.

Removed old gas, put in new gas, still will not start, replaced spark plug and air filter, and checked spark plug for spark on engine chassis, good spark, still would not start, took cover off engine, and cleaned area around carburetor, no luck.

Removed carburetor, cleaned intake valve and jets, still no luck. Bought a can of ether, spayed into carburetor, cranks and runs, but once you turn it off, it will not crank again unless you spray the ether into the carburetor. Also of note; it funs very hard, choke control has no effect on how fast lawn mower runs. When you turn on the self propelled unit, it races across the yard.

I'm not sure what I've done or messed up, thanks for any help...

Thanks,
Dennis
Virginia Beach, VA

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-05-07, 11:14 PM   #2  
When you say it runs very hard, do you mean at a faster RPM than it should? If so, the throttle shaft could be stuck/gummed up from the old gas, or the linkage could be installed incorrectly, or the spring could have too much tension on it.

The no-start issue sounds like a problem with the primer circuit. I don't know what engine you have, so I can't give much detail there.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

VA

05-06-07, 06:52 AM   #3  
I'll get more details and post here. I didn't think to post the model and serial number. And yes to your question, it runs at a faster RPM than it did before.

VA

05-06-07, 07:35 AM   #4  
Model Number: 12H802 / Type: 2640 / Trim: B1 / CODE: 00120757
Briggs & Stratton: 6.0 HP

It will start today, but only if we spray ether into the carb first, it will then run at the higher RPM...

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-07-07, 12:49 AM   #5  
Did you disassemble the carb and clean it out? I reccomend removing it, clean out, make sure the throttle shaft is able to move freely, replace the gasket between the carb and air filter housing, and see how it does.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

VA

05-10-07, 08:42 PM   #6  
I just got back from being out-of-town. I'll work on the carb tomorrow.

I'll post my results.

Dennis

Search this Thread