Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

briggs starts runs and dies and restarts

05-07-07, 11:51 AM   #1  

i have a briggs and stratton model 130202 type 0985 01 code 80051210 on a log splitter.
first it had no spark so i changed the points, condensor, and coil = great spark
squirt gas in cylander and it fired up but only briefly. so i emptied the gas tank and the removed the carb and cleaned it. i didn't change the fuel pump diaphram yet but that is going to be next. new spark plug. new air cleaner. i will start and it runs for like a munute or two without putting gas in the carb. and then just dies out. with and with out the air cleaner and with or without the gas cap. when it dies it still has spark and compression and it starts right back up. does anybody have any ideas what is causing this? this is driving me crazy. thanks

Sponsored Links

NY

05-07-07, 12:19 PM   #2  
I had the same problem on my 18 twin. I fixed by installing a fuel pump repair kit.
Only cost about $7 too.

05-07-07, 01:15 PM   #3  
pump

well that was my next guess. i didn't get a kit though i only ordered the diaphram. could you tell me what else you replaced? and where you got it. thanks now i feel better about this thing. i was about ready to give up.

NY

05-07-07, 02:25 PM   #4  
I replaced the spark plugs, fuel filter, and changed the oil. I also bought a can of carb and choke cleaner and disassembled the carb and fuel filter to clean them out completely.

I got the fuel pump kit from my local small engine shop but you can get it for the same price on eBay. Fuel filter and spark plugs came from an auto parts store.
Hope you get it running.

NY

05-07-07, 06:07 PM   #5  
The twin that msidan has and the 5-horse you have, craney56 are quite different. So, you can't necessarily rely on what msidan did to get you back up and running. He has a bowl type carburetor and you have a diaphragm type. Because the engine runs for one to two minutes would indicate a faulty diaphragm due to the fuel well integral to the fuel tank is running out but the fuel pump (diaphragm) can't quite keep up with the demand. Replace the diaphragm and you should be good. The Briggs part number for the diaphragm is 270026 and, may I suggest, the next time you need to replace the points and condensor (which is usually rather frequent) that you instead install a solid state ignition coil, part number 397358. This eliminates the need for the points and condensor and installs exactly the same as your current coil.

05-08-07, 08:43 AM   #6  

thanks puey61. and to you to msidan. great info. i have a diaphram on order, it should be in today. after i replace that i will let you know what happened. so far it has been one thing after another i hope this is the end of the line. thanks again. Craney56

Search this Thread