questions for the pros......

Old 05-08-07, 05:20 PM
questions for the pros......

what is the path that voltage takes while turning the key?

does it go to the safety switches first? does it go to the solenoid first? does it go to ground first? does it do it all at the same time? i have been studying the wiring diagram for my mower the past week and i am fascinated. how does it work?

can you recommend any good books that i can read as far as small engine operation/repair? i prefer b/s

if i disconnect the kill switch (from the magneto) this will bypass all of the safety switches and i can just choke it to kill the engine?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-07, 06:44 PM
what is the path that voltage takes while turning the key?

It depends upon the setup on your unit. There are different way's to set up the starter interlock. Some send power direct to the starter solenoid and interlock the solenoid with the ground through a series of switches, others use relay's while some interlock the power side.

can you recommend any good books that i can read as far as small engine operation/repair? i prefer b/s

Briggs & Stratton service manuals are pretty good although they don't go into a great deal of theory and are mostly specific to their engines. I can't think of any I could recommend.

if i disconnect the kill switch (from the magneto) this will bypass all of the safety switches and i can just choke it to kill the engine?

Yes, but thats not the best way to shut an engine off, and will most certainly shorten spark plug life. The safety switches are there for a reason (SAFETY) and should be left in place and hooked up to operate. You never know when you might be in a situation where you need them to work and if they don't you could be seriously hurt, maimed or even killed!

Old 05-08-07, 06:44 PM
nap
if you can post a pic (a good pic) of the diagram, I, or somebody else can walk you through your specific unit.

the order of flow would be dependant on any particular manufacturer but generally the switch is the first device after the battery so there are not a lot of hot wires or devices when the key is turned off.

from there it would go through any safety switches to prevent starting unless those switches are satisfied and then finally to the solenoid which is simply a heavy duty electricall activated switch that controls the electricity to the starter.

kill switches are often simply grounding switches that ground the spark so it does not spark at the plug. I would suggest not choking the engine to kill it as this introduces excessive fuel that will not be burned and can eventually thin the oil. It can also make the thing hard to start as it wets the spark plug so it acts like it's flooded (which it is because you just flooded it to kill it)

Old 05-09-07, 05:57 PM
nap....and30yeartech

thanks for responding to my post. even though i am a rookie, i do understand how things operate. this is my first riding mower, a 15hp twin b/s. it has its problems with starting and shutting down. but the thing runs great! i really enjoy this site. i love to learn how things work. one of the moderators says it best.....if it aint broke, dont fix it.

im just trying to learn all i can about my mower.