Craftsman mower carb help

Old 05-11-07, 11:06 AM
Craftsman mower carb help

I am trying to get a craftsman mower running. As of now, it will not start. Have spark, no gas. Can get the engine breakdown from sears but does not have detailed carb info. 143.996704 is the engine #. Does anyone know where I might get detailed info or part breakdown on the carb. I am guessing the problem is something plugged from old/dirty gas.
Are their common problems with this model?
It is getting gas to the bowl and I believe the float is working. I did pull the bowl off the bottom, and the float is free, but not sure what else to look for.
And if I need to soak it, it is all plastic. most carb/throttle body cleaners eat plastic.

Any info would be appriciated.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-07, 12:08 PM
Azis
Visiting Guest
Plastics used in carburetors will withstand most spray cleaners meant for carbs. The bath type cleaners should not be used.
Check the bolt that holds the bowl on the carb. Clear the passages in the bolt.
This manual should also cover your engine. http://www.cpdonline.com/692509.pdf

Old 05-11-07, 01:04 PM
Thanks Azis, That is a good manual to have.

But in looking at it, my bowl doesn't have a bolt to hold it on. it has a wire clip deal that swings down and snaps in place. So mine doesn't match any that are shown here.
Also looking in the back of that manual, their is a crafstman part number cross refrence. And my number 143.996704 is not listed. It jumps from 995 to 999. So maybe this is newer than this book?
I am guessing it (mower) is under five years old. just a guess.

Or maybe not a tecumseh?

Old 05-11-07, 02:54 PM
Azis
Visiting Guest
I have not seen one on a smaller engine yet, but if it is anything like they are using on the Enduro line, you will have to replace the entire bowl. Its a pretty cheesey affair.
I wasn't sure about the manual, just thought it may, sorry.

Old 05-11-07, 05:00 PM
These carbs are super sensitive. Not much to clean up. When you take bowl off you will a plastic fuel jet, you can pull this out, it is tight due to "O" ring. Be CAREFUL there is a spring under there. Spray cleaner and compressed air through all. I would suggest getting a new gasket between air cleaner and carb PN# 36048. It has a self adhesive to stick to air cleaner. There are 2 small holes that need to be lined up perfectly. There are instructions with the gasket. I would also put a new primer bulb on PN # 36045A. They tend to get hard and not draw well. I believe with a good basic cleaning, new gasket and new primer bulb you will get gas. Keep us posted

Old 05-11-07, 05:56 PM
The most common problem with these carburetor's are the O-Ring seals. One on the nozzle and one on the main jet orifice. O-Ring P/N 632547 (Tecumseh) The seal on the main jet will usually swell and restrict fuel from flowing through the metering orifice and the one on the nozzle will deteriorate and allow air to leak by instead of fuel.

90% of the time cleaning and replacing those two O-Rings will take care of the problem. The metering orifice is located under the drain screw on the side of the bowl, there is also a spring underneath the screw holding pressure on the orifice jet.

Good Luck...

Old 05-11-07, 08:40 PM
"When you take bowl off you will a plastic fuel jet, you can pull this out, it is tight due to "O" ring. Be CAREFUL there is a spring under there."

Pulled it out and guess what, no spring under there! I think someone has been in this already. The O ring on the plastic fuel jet looks a little sad. so I will replace it & the primer bulb works really hard, so that goes too.

Drain screw and metering orifice/spring look good.

All the part numbers you all have posted, I have been able to pull up. I found www.outdoordistributors.com and can get to Tecumseh parts, etc...
Where do you go, any recomendations.

And I still cannot find a good breakdown of the carb/bowl. How about the spring that should be under the plastic jet? can I get that? I have a feeling I just haven't found a good supplier.

Oh, and the fuel jet has a small hole straight through both sides above the lower O ring, and then a smaller hole above that through just one wall. Do these need to be facing a certain way when reassembled? I don't trust the way it was due to someone messing with it allready.

Old 05-12-07, 05:56 AM
"All the part numbers you all have posted, I have been able to pull up. I found www.outdoordistributors.com and can get to Tecumseh parts, etc...
Where do you go, any recomendations"

Joe, where are you located?

Old 05-12-07, 06:41 AM
Joe,

Found the repair kit for you, should have everything

PN#730637A

Still get that gasket air cleaner to carb, this is important

This site shows a break down
http://farmex.now.tc/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=2114

Old 05-12-07, 08:37 AM
Sears.com

Go to the Sears website and click on the link for parts. Where it asks for the part or model number type in 640020A (this is the part number for your carburetor) then click continue and when that page loads click "show diagram" and you can see an illustration of your carburetor along with all the part numbers. If you can't make that work pm me with your email address and I will send you one.

The nozzle can be turned in any direction when you install it. Just as long as it's not upside down...

Last edited by 30yearTech; 05-12-07 at 08:39 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 05-12-07, 09:12 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
Use the part # as the model # and search by model number, it gives you the diagram option. If you only search for parts you only get a purchase option.

Old 05-12-07, 02:22 PM
I am in south Bend, Indiana.

I am going to stop at a local place here on monday and see if I can pick up the o rings and gasket and see if that does it before I get more in depth.

And I didn't think about putting the carb number as the model. Thanks!

I will let you know how it goes in a few days.

Old 05-12-07, 02:28 PM
Smile maybe

carefully take the bowl off and the float. usally the needle gets stuck closed. if you clean that it should work

Old 05-13-07, 06:18 PM
Hey !

Thanks to your tips, I got the breakdown of the carb and guess what !

I am missing the following... Upper O ring on the jet and spring below it & the O ring for main nozzel tube.

No wonder!

I will let you know the results

Old 06-16-07, 11:49 AM
Hey sorry for the slow response...I got slammed with multiple other projects and this one got put on the back burner for a bit.

Here is an update. I got a bowl kit and replaced the bowl and all the corresponding parts with it. That included the primer bulb and air to carb gasket. Right after that it would start and run with one pull. I ran it for 15min or so and it ran great.(all on flat terrain) Then a couple days later in using it in a different area that has some small hills, it would start to die out when on a slant. Nose down specifically. I would tip it up level just before it would die and it would sputter and start running full speed again. Nose down and within 5-10 seconds, it would be sputtering again. (and no I wasn't in hip high grass either ha ha)

First thing I though of was the float, but that is all brand new. The second thing was it reminded me of my riding tractor and the seat safety switch. There are no weird safety devices on this push mower is there?

Anyone think there was some dirt that came loose in the tank and something got sludged up?

Old 06-16-07, 06:55 PM
Any smoke from the muffler when operated at the angle in question? If so, what color is the smoke? Did you replace the o-rings (two of such) on the emulsion tube when you serviced the carb? I doubt that you have a trash (dirt, as you describe) that is causing this, by the way.

Old 06-16-07, 08:09 PM
No I don't recall seeing it smoke. I should try it again and look for that. Although suddenly now it is real hard to start and when it does it runs for 5 seconds and then dies. Maybe only burning off the fuel from priming?

The "bowl kit" that I got had a fully assembled bowl to install. Just put on the new (float bowl to body) gasket and snap it in place. Replaced the air cleaner to carb gasket and the primer bulb.

Do you think I should pull off the whole carb to investigate?

Old 06-17-07, 09:12 AM
It sounds like you have dirt, water and/or other particles in your fuel tank and they have worked their way into your new fuel bowl. Back flush the fuel tank and carefully clean the new fuel bowl you just installed. When you tilt it back you are moving the obstruction arround and getting fuel back to the engine. Watch when you refuel that the area arround the filler cap is clean and use clean fresh fuel. Double check your fuel container for contamination also. Had a unit come in where it would not run correctly and cleaned it up and had it running on our shop fuel. The customer took it home and mowed with it until he refueled the tank on the mower. Then it would not run again. Showed the customer what was in his tank and fuel bowl on the carb. The customer called back that he had dirt in his gas can.

Old 06-17-07, 05:36 PM
Agreed, play it safe and have another look in the carburetor. Although relatively rare, I've had to replace carburetors that just won't clear/clean up by thorough, normal means.

Old 08-11-07, 12:34 PM
Upon further investigation, I found some black sludge particles in the bottom of the gas tank. I flushed it out real good, cleaned out the bowl again, and now it runs with no problems.
Thanks to all for your help.
Consider another problem solved!

Thanks!!!!

Old 08-13-07, 04:01 AM
To be on the cautious side, I'd replace the in-line fuel filter every month or so at least for the remainder of this year and maybe once or twice next year and I recommend using Tecumseh filter 34279B.