String Trimmer Info

Old 05-11-07, 03:00 PM
String Trimmer Info

I am attempting to get my fathers old string trimmer up and running after many years of it sitting in the garage collecting dust. The only information I have on this trimmer is "Piston Powered Products - Model 99". I cannot seem to find anything on google to give me any hints on parts, etc. If anyone has any information or can point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it, thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-07, 06:04 PM
I believe Piston Power Products was the predecessor to IDC (Inertia Dynamics Corporation) which eventually became Ryobi and is now owned by MTD (I believe) you might try looking for Ryan weed trimmer info as I think thats the name the trimmers were marketed under at the begining.

Old 05-11-07, 07:40 PM
30year, it's amazing the stuff you know. Geo

gd;
Before you spend much time with the trimmer, turn the swith on and grab the plug wire and give the rope a pull if you get a jolt you are in good shape, then remove the sparkplug, put your thumb(not the one numb from the spark)over the hole, give the rope a pull if it blows your thumb off your getting in better shape. Now, remove the carb(it is probably a Walbro or Zama) there are numbers on it somewhere to tell you the one you have they both have a multitude of carbs. Your going to need some soak type carb cleaner(Berryman, NAPA, Mac6402) and a can of brake parts cleaner(with the little straw), now dis-assemble the carb and put the metal parts in the cleaner over night(these old carbs went as fragile as the new ones). Remove, blow all cracks and crevases with the BP cleaner. Put Plastic parts in for 30 min and then spray off with BP cleaner. Assemble with new rebuild kit( use old metering lever if possible). Replace fuel lines with new lines. Rinse fuel tank with straight gas and then disguard. New fuel (40:1 Stihl oil). Add enough fuel to get it running. Fire it up!!!! Post back to your results(I have a IDC 580 supreme, minature tank) and the pro's on this forum will point out my mistakes.

Old 05-11-07, 07:53 PM
Thank you both for your input. I have so far replaced the fuel line and cleaned the tank out. The spark plug looks like its fouled and I will be replacing that too. The air filter is not in good shape as its probably 20 years old. It will run for seconds on a shot of carb cleaner so I am thinking I am half way there. New plug, new air filter and a carb kit since the gaskets don't look good to me (probably 20 years old).

Old 05-12-07, 10:00 AM
Do you have the knowledge to post pictures of the trimmer in a post? If so, this would tell us what you have and better help us to help you. I like what Geo has suggested except I'd check for spark initially, simply with the spark plug.......NOT my body!!! LOL. And, the thumb check for compression can be misleading and I'd rather see you remove the muffler and have a look at the condition of the piston and cylinder. If you have it pegged as a carburetor issue and you still don't have the unit brand figured out, it's not the end of the line. Every hand-held manufacturer uses an aftermarket carburetor and such carburetor will have its own identification. Yours, most likely, is either a Zama or a Walbro and both of which you can get genuine OE parts and not have to worry about the unit manufacturer. Look on your carb for such ID and post back with such as well as any pics, if possible.

Old 05-12-07, 05:14 PM
Update

I have pictures, but don't have the cable for my camera with me, so I will post them tomorrow.

I have taken the carb off and it is a Walbro WA-62B. I haven't found a ton on a 62B, only the 62. Are they the same? I def need a new mounting gasket as its crumbling away as well as the gaskets in the carb. I am pretty sure that a repair kit is going to be step 1 in getting this thing to run again.

I am pretty sure I need Walbro repair kit K10-WAT to get all the parts I need. Can someone confirm this is the part number for the repair kit for this carb? Also the air filter is just a piece of sponge material held in place by a bunch of plastic pins around the top of the choke/cover that goes over the carb. Does anyone have any idea of a suitable replacement for that? I also have noticed a sticker on the gas tank that says to use Lawn-Boy brand 2-stroke oil, so maybe its a lawn-boy trimmer?

Pics to come tomorrow.

Old 05-12-07, 05:56 PM
Based on your explanation of the air cleaner/housing assembly, I'm sure you have an IDC/Ryan/Ryobi unit, as 30-year suspected. Is the choke control incorporated into the air cleaner assembly an use a knob that you rotate 90-degrees, or so, to choke the unit? And is the cleaner housing round in shape? The K10-WAT is indeed the correct rebuild kit for the carb. You will unlikely find an OE mounting gasket but Oregon OEP has one such available and is part number 49-170. And, boy, I believe that Oregon also has an air filter but I don't recall the part number. If you have a local dealer in your area you could certainly call on them for assistance. I recommend soaking the carb in a bath cleaner for only 15-20 minutes at a time as the fuel inlet is a plastic 90-degree fitting, if I'm not mistaken, and anything longer will ruin the fitting. You could certainly soak it more than once but need to spray clean and blow it off and allow a good hour to allow the plastic to reduce swelling between soakings if more than one is needed to tackle heavy varnish.

Old 05-12-07, 06:03 PM
K10-wat

That is the correct kit for your carburetor and will cover most variations of the WA carburetor. I don't think a mtg gasket is included in the kit but a 791-610675 (MTD) gasket should work just fine.

Old 05-12-07, 06:38 PM
Thanks both of you for the input. Yes, the choke is part of a round housing cover that screws on behind the carb.

Now when you folks recommend soaking a carb, that is with all gaskets, etc removed from it correct? This is the first "rebuild/repair" I am attempting and just want to make sure I am on the right page.

Also, any instructions on adjusting the 1 adjustment screw on the carb? There is a L on the left and a H on the right of the screw.

Old 05-12-07, 07:51 PM
If it only has one adjustment screw then that is actually the low speed adjustment screw. 1 1/2 turns from seat to start, adjust this screw for a smooth idle and good acceleration.

I rarely if ever soak a small carburetor like this one, usually I just use a carburetor cleaner spray. Bath type cleaners are alright if you take out all the welch plugs and make sure the high speed check valve is not still in the carburetor. I have excellent results with just the spray cleaner and compressed air. If you use a bath type cleaner, then be careful and don't soak it too long if there are any plastic parts that do not come off of the carburetor.

Old 05-13-07, 03:23 PM
Exclamation Images

I finally got home this weekend and here are the images of the timmer and air filter housing. Not sure how you post pictures on this forum, but the links are to the pictures.

http://www.mradicsh.com/images/PICT0001.JPG
http://www.mradicsh.com/images/PICT0004.JPG
http://www.mradicsh.com/images/PICT0009.JPG

Old 05-13-07, 06:33 PM
IDC Trimmer

Go to the Toro parts lookup website use the address listed below

https://lookup3.toro.com/partdex/index.cfm?xCaller=Toro

search on the model number 1100 and you can look at a breakdown that should be pretty much what you have. Lawnboy use to sell a trimmer just like that one many moons ago. The part numbers listed are Ryobi part numbers and if still available will change to MTD part numbers that you can check on the MTD site listed below

http://buymtdonline.arinet.com/scripts/EmpartISAPI.dll?MF&App=MTD54&TF=Empartweb&Lang=EN&searchDB=MTD%20Brand&loginID=MTDCon%20&LoginPWD=&xmlPostDest=http://www.buymtdonline.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/processShoppingCart_10101_15601_-1_19502

Old 05-13-07, 06:40 PM
gd1147;
Go to www.walbro.com and select the service/aftermarket tab then select the service manuals tab then WA even though it says chain saw and you will get more info on your carb than you ever wanted to know. Have a good one. Geo

Old 05-14-07, 03:41 AM
Thanks again everyone for your input. Waiting on a carb kit to see if that at least gets it running again. Then if that is a success I may need a few extra little things and at least I have the part numbers thanks to you 30yearTech. That Toro page has exactly what I was looking for. Thanks again!

Old 05-19-07, 01:33 PM
Exclamation Help

So I finally got the carb kit, air filter, and mounting gasket that I needed to complete the repairs. I installed the repair kit, etc and put the trimmer back together. To my amazement it started right up after sitting idle for so many years. The good news was I had it running for 20-30 minutes and then catastrophe hit.

I was running at wot and all of a sudden it just quit on me. Trying to restart it and there was no resistance on the cord. I was very afraid that the engine may have seized so I opened it up and found what is in the picture below. Can someone explain why this would have happened? The piston is not seized and moves freely however it sheared clean off. Could that have been an age issue? I don't know too much about small engines, but I am an engineer and I cannot for the life of me figure out why this would have happened. Please let me know all your thoughts and if you think I should try to repair this or just buy a new trimmer. Thanks in advance.

http://www.mradicsh.com/images/PICT0014.JPG

Old 05-20-07, 07:30 AM
That is the connecting rod that broke (sheared) and is very rare for that to happen. As a matter of fact, in my 25-plus years in the business, I've never seen this happen. I've seen seizure of the rod to the crankshaft or piston to the bore but never a rod breakage. Typically, this happens due to overspeeding of the engine which is certainly possible with a two-stroke especially if you have an air leak in the crankcase area of the engine whereby it runs unusually good (and therefore high RPM's) for only a short time and then, BANG goes the engine. Is it worth the repair? Not likely, it will be more expensive to repair than to replace with a similarly equipped trimmer, if the parts are even still available, that is.