mower wont start

Old 05-12-07, 02:46 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
mower wont start

My sister's mower sat in her yard all winter. I went over there, drained the gas, lines and carb. Put in new gas, new filter and a new spark plug. It will start and run for about 2 seconds and then quit. I tried taking the filter off and spraying starter fluid in there but I am not sure if that is the right spot. Is there anything else I can do to get it going? It seems like it wants to start. Thanks.

Old 05-12-07, 03:50 PM
Azis
Visiting Guest
What color is it?

Old 05-12-07, 03:51 PM
S
what color is it?

are you serious??????????????

Old 05-12-07, 06:00 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Riding mower? Walk-behind mower? Briggs engine? Tecumseh engine? Honda engine? Two stroke? Four stroke? I'd say you have a dirty carburetor but without knowing what you have, other than a mower, we can't help you well.

Old 05-12-07, 08:16 PM
B
It is a push mower with a briggs engine. not sure if it is 4 or 2 stroke. It takes plain gas like most common mowers. it is also green. So draining the carb was not enough? Do I need to take it off or just buy an additive for the gas? Thanks.

Old 05-13-07, 12:15 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
An additive won't fix the problem. We still have a lack of information though, and can't give specific instruction.

In general, you'd remove the carb and clean it, but there may be more things involved, depending on what engine you have.

Old 05-13-07, 06:21 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
How did you drain the carb? If you removed a bolt on the bottom of the bowl, that bolt is likely the main jet and will have orifices that tend to plug easily. If this applies, you may only need to clean this bolt and passages.

Old 05-14-07, 04:12 AM
B
I removed the bolt and the entire apparatus. I did not notice any orifices so maybe that is the problem. Tonight after work I will take the bolt out again and see if it appears to be clogged. Do you recommend starter fluid? If so, where do you spray it in? Thank you.

Old 05-14-07, 06:00 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
Starter fluid should not be used on small engines. It is much to volatile and can cause serious damage.
If you are unaware of where and how to prime the engine, I would suggest you take the mower to a qualified repair shop or person. The chances of making a simple solution a major problem are far too great.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: