Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Please Help. Lawnmower Smoking!!

05-12-07, 06:22 PM   #1  
Please Help. Lawnmower Smoking!!

Bought a Craftsman self propelled 6.75 mower. B&S engine at sears. It started smoking like crazy. White smoke with maybe a little blue tint to it. I shut it down and checked the oil. It was fine! I started it back up again it didn't smoke anymore. I was almost done and it started smoking again. It seems to bog down a little why it smokes but not much. I am sure I could continue to mow but am worried about it smoking. Besides, I am sure someone would think it was on fire with all the smoke. I think my son put mixed gas in it last time he mowed. Could it be from that? What could be wrong?? The dang thing isn't that old?? Any ideas? I already called sears and it'g going to be a nightmare to try and get them to do something with it. Besides that what am I supposed to do in the meantime without a mower.

Besides the mower my almsot new gas weed eater was working fine last year and now I am going through almost a full roll of line in about 2 minutes. Last year a full spool of line lasted me a few weeks. Any ideas?

One more questions, how do you get a breaker box out of the main box? I unhooked the breaker wires and then couldn't get it out of the main box. I was scared to pull on it as I didn't want to break something.

You know how it is, one thing goes and everything goes. So fun to be a happy homeowner.

Yes, I am a single mom so pardon my vagueness. I can usually figure most things out but these three things have me scratching my head.

Dasild

Sponsored Links

AL

05-12-07, 07:42 PM   #2  
Most likely it is the 2-cycle fuel causing your mower to smoke.A 4-cycle engine just isn't designed to burn oil like a 2-cycle engine is.Drain the fuel and re-fill with raw gasoline.You might have to reajust the carburetor (if yours has an adjustment screw) that is.

About your weedeater line;

Over time the line dries out and gets a little brittle.try soking the line in a bucket of water over-night,this sometimes brings back it's Original
Pliable state.

One more questions, how do you get a breaker box out of the main box? I unhooked the breaker wires and then couldn't get it out of the main box. I was scared to pull on it as I didn't want to break something.

I don't have the fogiest notion what you mean.the breaker box is what the points are in.But it dosn't have another box in it.And for your engine to have points in it,it would have to be 20 + years old.Reply back with the model # on the engine shroud (cover) where we can all see what you've got and someone can help you further.

05-12-07, 09:25 PM   #3  
Told you I was a single mom

I am talking about the breaker box in my cellar for my Dryer. lol I am having problems with it tripping. I had the dryer checked out and they told me to change the breaker.

I opened the main box and disconnected the breaker. I couldn't get the actual breaker out of the breaker box itself. I realize this is probably confusing because I put all my questions in one forum. Sorry bout that.

Thanks for the suggestions so far on the mower. If it is smoking because of the mixed oil do you think it will hurt the engine??? I have now marked the gas jugs so all know which is which and hopefully it wont happen again. If it keeps smoking then what?

Thanks guys

Forum Topic Moderator

OH

05-12-07, 09:35 PM   #4  
Engine should be fine. Just dump any mixed fuel and refill mower with straight gas. You might want to remove and check the spark plug. If dirty, wipe it with a fine emery paper or just replace it.

You should post your electrical problem on the electrical forum, however, most breakers do snap in. When you re post, tell us the manufacturer of the breaker box. That will be a big help.

05-13-07, 06:46 AM   #5  
Thanks guys

I will check the plug today and clean it. HOpefully I dont get the fire dept. called on me if it smokes again.

I do manage and after paying a guy $100 to change two outlets I learned how to do things myself.

Dasild

MA

05-14-07, 11:42 AM   #6  
Please be VERY careful in the breaker box. The live bar that the breakers hook into is just that LIVE !

However I love your determiantion and breakers are extremely easy to change. But do NOT under any circumstance use a larger amp breaker than what you are replacing most likely a 30 amp for a dryer.

Look at the panel and get the name of it. Go to your local Home depot/Lowes and buy a 30 amp breaker for that brand box. It will help you immensely having a new one in your hand to understand how it locks in and how to remove old one.

To be very safe when you change it shut off the main breaker in the box If the new keeps tripping it is not the breaker but either someone tapped into that line for another appliance or you have a short in your dryer.

Let us know

05-14-07, 06:05 PM   #7  
Thanks guys and gals?

I drained the mower and low and behold it is not smoking anymore. Seems to be working great!!!!

I got the breaker changed without any issues and no fried hair either. lol The dryer has been running and we made it through three loads and the breaker didn't trip. whooooo hoooooooo. I was getting tired of running to the cellar 10 times to get a load dried. lol

Haven't gotten to the weed eater yet. I am thinking that the piece you tap is loose and it is letting the line constantly feed out. Just haven't found the time to get to it yet.

Thanks all for your help! You saved me lots of money!!! Honestly I love doing all these little projects myself. Makes me feel good and who can afford some of these prices you are charged. Especially a single mom. Seems I always pay more for the same thing my brother has done at his house. Anyways, thanks again.

I am glad I found you all and am sure with a 7 bd rm house I will be back a LOT.

Huggies
D

NY

05-15-07, 02:52 AM   #8  
I feel your pain on the cost of paid repairs. But to defend us outdoor power equipment/small engine, business owners, - and other professional, small-business owners for that matter - the cost of doing business continually rises and we do our best to keep the cost of repairs to a minimum but with sky-rocketing insurance costs (both liability and health) and outrageous workers compensation rates and rising utility costs and ever increasing fuel (gasoline) prices and a decreasing pool of qualified service technicians and decreasing profit margins on parts and whole-goods, it's not like it was in the eighties and earlier when you could get a complete workup for under twenty bucks. Sorry to vent and it is no reflection on you, I just wanted to educate you and all others who may read this post in order to better understand our side. Just a note on the trimmer line issue you have, it may, as repair_guy indicated, be brittle from normal winter storage drying out. But, it may be that the line is spooled in the wrong direction. Most spool sheaves will have an arrow indicating the direction the line should be wound, be sure it is wound correctly.

05-15-07, 04:44 AM   #9  
I am sorry If I made you feel you had to defend yourself

I am not dissing you guys. I am sure you are honest good people. It is odvious by your posts and your kindness here.

I am one of the customers who have repeatedly been ripped off by one person or another. Not all MEN either. I was a small business owner and went belly up due to NYS taxing me to death.

I feel for you and again think you all are wonderful!!

D

NY

05-15-07, 06:54 PM   #10  
I, too, am from NY and understand the tax burden that you dealt with. On the taking-advantage-of-a-woman end of your pain, I know what you mean and I'll say it's not fair but it is a reality. On ocassions that I've had my wife run errands or arrange for service on assorted household items or vehicles, some of the things my wife has told me that she was told by the shops/service centers/technicians/contractors is astounding. Then I'll do the usual, phone them and call their bluff and they all of a sudden stutter and backtrack. I'll say, I've been complemented by numerous female customers for not treating them like a woman but rather, a customer. They appreciate a technical explanation of any service issue rather than an apparent sidestep and BS session. I find it more genuine and honest with a real, matter-of-fact explanation as opposed to a tip-toeing, fumbling, rambling nonsense that is painfully obvious as BS. The funny thing is that the percentage of women who understand my dialect is far greater than that of my male customers. Women listen and learn, men stare and look dumbfounded, generally.

Search this Thread