Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

B+S 4.5 hp for Murray rear-bag mower

05-12-07, 09:54 PM   #1  
B+S 4.5 hp for Murray rear-bag mower

Briggs + Stratton 4.5hp motor for Murray Select 20" rear bagger (model#204210X8F)
After mowing half lawn and stopping to empty rear-bag, upon attempted restart, engine started spurting oily mix out of metal muffler on side. Waited an hr and tried again, similar problem. Mower is just over 2 yrs old, and had been running okay so far this spring. Suggestions for the layman ???

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-13-07, 12:06 AM   #2  
What is the model# of the engine? Is the oil level too high? Oil smell like gas?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

05-13-07, 08:17 PM   #3  
Oil level is filled okay (not overfilled).
Spewing liquid has a very gassy-smell.
B+S engine model is something like "Family 5BSXS _ 1581VG".

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-13-07, 08:56 PM   #4  
Smell the oil in the engine. Does it smell like gas, or is it very thinned like gas is in it?

God bless!

05-14-07, 11:17 AM   #5  
Actually just drained the oil (w/o smelling - and accumulated in a recycle jug), but didn't appear to be gas-laden. Was thinking that possibly that fuel mix had flooded when I tilted the mower at 45 dg angle to scrape some moist grass accumulation underneath. Any logic to that? Or am I looking at something like a broken seal within? Welcome your further suggestions to check on anything or other possible solutions (keeping in mind I'm a layman/novice). Local mower repair shop is backed up 4 weeks, so not much of an option to sit and wait for that avenue (primo grass growth season right now here).

Visiting Guest

05-14-07, 12:07 PM   #6  
Azis
Make note of the exact oil level since you just changed it. Check it after having set a while and see if the level increases or smells of gas. If the level increases or smells of gas, the needle and seat in the carb may be leaking.
The #'s you posted are for your mower not the engine. The shroud may be covered with plastic or the gas tank where the engine numbers are located.
Check this link (er I mean url, mods dont allow links I guess :P) to locate your engine numbers http://www.briggsandstratton.com/display/router.asp?docid=74604

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-14-07, 09:25 PM   #7  
Aha! Now the rest of the story.

You mentioned tilting the mower on it's side. That's what caused your problem. You'll need to remove the spark plug and pull the rope briskly several times to blow the oil out of the cylinder. Remove the air filter and verify that it's not soaked with oil. Clean the spark plug or replace it, and try starting it again. You got oil in the cylinder. If you ever tilt the mower, I suggest tilting it so that the carburetor is up.

God bless!

05-20-07, 04:47 PM   #8  
Was out of town for a few days. Tried suggestion (pull the plug, pull starter to get extra fuel out, clean plug, try reg start). Still wouldn't start, but after thinking that the plug still had some carbon-corrosion, I dropped $1.50 and put in a new plug. Started like a charm...........although it took 45 seconds of burning off fuel w/white smoke. Anyhow, mower worked great this weekend....life is good.......thanks for your collective advices!!!

Search this Thread