Sears/Tecumseh Mower Oil leak

Old 05-13-07, 12:08 PM
Sears/Tecumseh Mower Oil leak

Had a mower from a rental unit fall apart last fall, oil all over the place. Finally got the oil fill/dipstick tube re-seated and re-attached to the block, and the gasket seated nicely where the oil fill tube meets the block. Re-filled with oil and everyone's running and happy.

Now sitting idle for a week, it appears oil is seeping from the pan/block from where the plastic fill/dipstick tube meets the block. Everything was seated tightly. Any ideas? New gasket? This fill/dipstick tube seating always seemed kind of a vulnerability before (I have another of similar model). Am I missing something on how this goes together?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-07, 06:07 PM
Azis
Visiting Guest
The tube should have a small sheet metal screw that attaches it to the engine shroud. Make sure that is secure and that the area it threads to is also solid. Since there is an issue I would replace the gasket as well.

Old 05-14-07, 08:36 AM
Yeah I redid that screw as now a small bolt thru the same hole complete with lock washer.

If there's nothing other than that screw and the gasket, I guess I'll just get a new gasket.

Thanks.

Old 05-14-07, 10:02 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
That is likely the problem if the hole for the screw is wore out. I know some of these need to be finessed a bit by holding the tube down while tightening the screw. Sometimes it doesn't take much to get a leak either. Still try a new gasket but if the tube will not stay down after the screw/bolt is tightened, you may have to do something about the mounting.

Old 05-14-07, 09:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The oil shouldn't be high enough to be leaking from that spot. Is the oil overfilled? Is it thin and gassy smelling?