Scotts Intek Edge Lawn Mower please help

Old 05-14-07, 12:06 AM
Question Scotts Intek Edge Lawn Mower please help

I recently moved and inherited a Scotts Lawn Mower--please see below for specs.
It was not running and I was told it needed a new carburetor as gas had solidified after sitting so long, so I got the new carb along with tuneup, blade sharpened, etc. Unfortunately I was in a hurry to cut grass & had no manual & shortly after I began I heard a loud noise like running over a branch or rock, etc. and when I turned off mower there was a plate that apparently came loose from under the blade --I looked the part up in Murray parts manual & was described as: Key# 260 part# 43770-898 - cover lower belt guard. (see photo)

It was bent somewhat and am wondering if I hit something i.e. rock/sprinkler/sidewalk, etc. or possibly did something else wrong, or maybe the repairman might have been in error as I did not see any screws or bolts on the ground or remaining on the unit.
So my first question is do I need this reinstalled? -I am not going back to this repairshop for various reasons--thought I was being hustled but I can probably reinstall myself if necessary. (See photo)

I have a few questions on the correct operation/settings, etc. I have researched the internet & know it was made by Murray with Briggs & Stratton engine. I have downloaded a few manuals from the Briggs & Stratton website: #277102-domestic which is entitled operators manual for model 12000 which references the Intek Edge models & also downloaded the MS2143B-parts list. However looking through these can be confusing & doesn't always cover my exact lawnmower & I want to make sure I'm doing everything properly.
I am confused somewhat about the Bail/operator control bar vs.the lever /Drive wire, & the speed 1,2,3 lever. I know the operator control bar at the top is the main one which I need to hold when starting & release when stopping. I have read in the manual to start in fast position & I have the lever near the primer set to the fast /rabbit setting. What position should the speed lever be in i.e. 1-2-3 & is that pulled toward or away from operator? Also do I pull the bar, (the orange drive wire I think it's called?) & hold it or? I'm really confused about that setting..(See photo)

The other issue is this mower seems really hard to push-maybe it's just heavy or hopefully I don't have it on the proper setting. Also I am mulching & found the mulch plug after the first use if that makes any difference-Thanks for your help--any advice appreciated!

Scotts Model# 29995X8B Code 9194M
3 in 1 mulch/bag/side discharge
6.5 hp I/C Briggs & Stratton Intek Edge OHV
all condition turf vac
3 speed rear wheel drive
Briggs & Stratton model# 121602-0121-E1
Serial# 990604FA
(See photo)

Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-07, 02:24 AM
The plate you have is merely a belt cover and should be reinstalled to prevent grass from accumulating in the belt area. Common sense will tell you how to reattach it. The "1 2 3" are transmission shifter speeds, you must select the ground speed you desire first then PULL the orange lever back to actuate the drive train. The fact that it pushes difficult is likely because you are trying to push a self-propelled mower which will be difficult due to the reduction of the tranny. You'll want to operate any self-propelled mower in self-propell (use the drive feature, in other words). Lastly, if you intend to mulch, you must use the mulch plug. If, on the other hand, you intend on discharging, then you must use the discharge chute and if bagging then use the bagger.

Old 05-15-07, 06:03 AM
Totally dangerous design! I would bring mower to reputable repair shop and have plate installed per spec. The fact it fell once tells me it can fall again. Metal into a spinning blade?? Not just the plate but buts and bolts as well.

Old 05-15-07, 11:13 PM
Smile Scotts Intek Edge lawn mower please help

Thanks so much for your input gentlemen!
Frankly (puey61) ..I am embarrassed to admit that I had no idea this mower was self propelled! I mean in all the research I've done, from looking up the serial numbers, downloading & going through the manuals--from B&S & other websites, to all the stickers & verbage on the mower itself..I have never seen the words self-propelled! Seems like someone missed the boat marketing-wise but am assuming wherever the unit was purchased--probably Home Depot there were some other marketing attachments with those words on the unit--but I'm not complaining...
Could you please clarify a few points:
Re: the operation in self-propell mode--Do I start the engine first--then choose the ground speed, pull the orange lever back, etc. and do I then release that (orange) lever or do I have to hold that?
Do the 1-3 shifter speeds begin slowest to fastest..i.e. with 1 being the slowest? Any recommendations on where to set also appreciated..
Please forgive me as obviously I've never had a self propelled mower & have to ask questions that really make me look dumb--but I'm thinking as I write..
I'm assuming I have to still 'go along for the ride' as the mower won't run if I let go of the the control bar?? Or possibly when I activate the drive train that changes the whole scenario?
And can I change speeds while mowing ..for instance if I want to increase the speed on a long straightaway, etc.
Re: Reattaching the belt cover plate--I really think I can handle this. I believe that the repairman might have left these off. Can you tell me if the blade needs to be removed & what type of screw/hardware I need. On one of the parts diagrams it shows: 26X259MA Screw, Tapped & Slotted (replaces 710273 screw 10-16X.50. I went to Home Depot & could not find..I took the plate & tried to locate using the 10-16X.50 numbers....didn't get much help from the hardware guy.. maybe I should go to a lawnmower repair shop or if you or anyone knows more details, description/type of screw, bolts, etc. I could search for..I'd really appreciate it..
I know I am really covering a lot & I truly appreciate your patience & advice...thanks so much!

Old 05-16-07, 02:18 AM
Yes, you will pull the brake control lever back to start and run the engine. The orange, drive control lever is only pulled back when the self-propell function is desired. Choose your desired ground speed (1.2 or 3) first then pull back the lever, release the lever to obtain neutral, such as when you make a U-turn at the end of a pass. Also, you must release this lever (to neutral position) before changing gears. No, the blade does not need to be removed to install the belt cover. Disregard the Murray screws indicated to secure the cover to the housing. I recommend you drill the holes (five of such) out to 1/4" and use standard 1/4"-20 X 1/2" bolts with 1/4"-20 locknuts. This will be much better to keep this cover in place rather than the sheetmetal screws that were originally installed.

Old 07-31-07, 07:51 PM
Scotts self propelled mower problem

Well we're finally getting some rain in Atlanta & the grass is growing fast & still having problems with my mower. I've had to cut it manually a few times & am ready to self-propell! I finally took some more pics & looked close & see that the belt has come loose. Hope this photo link works --am linking 2 pics. of the belt--would really apreciate instructions on how to re-attach the belt--thanks!

Old 08-01-07, 07:09 PM
The belt should be fairly easy to reinstall. The transmission has spring tension on it, you should be able to rotate the transmission down towards the front of the mower, this should give you plenty of room to install the drive belt. Make sure it's seated in the pulley "groove". Release the transmission and the spring should pull it back and apply tension to the belt. I cannot see it in your pictures, but I believe there is a way to tighten the tension on the drive belt.

Best of Luck...

Old 08-04-07, 04:57 PM
Drive Belt

Thanks so much for your reply. I see where the belt goes but unfortunately can't seem to get it attached! There is a small slot/window that I try to get the belt through then onto the pulley & maybe the space is too tight, or maybe have the lawn mower in the incorrect position--I have it laying on it's side:

Not sure if I have in the correct position to rotate the transmission as you suggested--I could pull it toward me & it did rotate somewhat but still could not attach the belt-could be the small space as well as not being able to see well. I have highlighted a screw in this pic. wondering if I should unscrew and maybe that would help:

Here's a few other pics/scenarios since I took several photos--not sure if any are valid but..

Do I possibly need to remove the blade?:

or maybe take the tire off--

Heres a closeup of a picture taken through that slot/window..I know I need to clean out that "groove" but wondering what that hole is I have highlighted on the left side--is something missing or possibly that is for tightening the tension?

Thanks again for your time, patience & help!

Old 08-04-07, 05:34 PM
Hard to tell exactly from the pictures, but I believe from reading the post and looking at the pictures, your problem is because you are trying to do everything from under the mower. You should have access to the transmission from the top of the mower or there may be a "transmission cover" when you remove bag and flip up rear cover. This is the most likely case if Murray made the mower for Scotts. If that is the case, put belt on blade pulley, remove cover pull belt through and then as suggested earlier push down on transmission and you should be able to put belt on. If it is too tight, remove spark plug, and tie the handle you need to pull to start to the permanent handle. You then will be able to get the belt started on the pulley and by turning the blade it should fall into the transmission pulley.

Good luck

Old 08-05-07, 10:38 PM
Thumbs up Thanks!

Thanks so much--that was great info. The access from the transmission door was perfect--took me a while to get that door off as those hex screws were old & but it worked out. It was easy with your tip on pulling down the tranny, plus I could see what I was doing!
It was getting dark but wanted to start 'er up as I have never had the pleasure of using the self-propelled feature before & it started easily & engaged with no problem as some of the other DIY posters had showed me how to do. One quesion about the various speeds i.e. 1-2-3. Is 1 slowest to 3 the fastest? (I'm assuming 1 is pullung toward the operator & 2 & 3 are pushing the lever forward) It took off pretty fast which is good! but want to know which is which.
Thanks again to all!

Old 08-06-07, 05:15 AM
Yes, pushing away from operator should be your fastest speed. Glad you got her going, mowing should be a bit easier.

Old 09-05-07, 11:11 PM
Now starter rope broke!

Has been running great but I guess it's about time for another problem!
I went to start it yesterday & the rewind rope just broke with me still holding the handle!
I took off the cover & see where the rope used to go--I'm assuming I need to remove the bolts & take off. I bought a new rope handle with rope and would appreciate your help in installing it properly--
Thanks again!

Old 09-06-07, 10:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Just remove the cover, remove the old rope, wind the spool up in the direction it would wind when pulling the rope until it stops. Then back it off until the hole in the spool lines up with the hole in the cover. Feed the rope through these holes and tie a knot in the end. Let the spool wind up the rope until it is full or until it's at the end, in which case, that's where you tie on the handle.

Old 10-13-07, 05:33 PM
Can't get mower started!

I replaced the starter rope & the only problem I had was that the cord is a little short. I cut a few times while installing as it frayed before I had a chance to burn ends. I have used a few times just starting without attached to guide rope handle, just leaning down all the way to the base.

Don't know if that has anything to do with my current issue--it's not starting now. I've tried the troubleshooters, and since some of the items looked like original equip. I replaced; the fuel line which looked cracked & old replaced with clear line, the air filter, installed new spark plug--then reset gap to .020 as per instructions for this older mower. Still no start.
Finally I added a teaspoon of fuel in the sparkplug hole, then put spark plug back & it did start for a few seconds then stalled.

Would appreciate ideas for the next step; I guess I might have screwed up when putting back the parts when I replaced the starter cord, I do have another cord which is longer & can install that if that is an issue. I'm not sure what the correct length is for this mower. I know some of the troubleshooters point to the carburetor & don't know if this is applicable but this mower had a new carburetor installed this past April. I've also seen posts that referenced a fuel shutoff valve but don't know if this mower has one, or how it might have got turned off. I'm including a few pics-in progress (or rather withouth progress!) maybe there might be something you can see that might help. Some have parts removed i.e. air filter, cover, etc.
Thanks for your continued help & support--I've been working on this & frustrated & can't wait to actually be able to cut the grass!

all condition turf vac
3 speed rear wheel drive
Serial# 990604FA

Old 10-14-07, 12:24 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like it's not getting gas...maybe water in the carburetor bowl, or the needle valve is stuck in the carb?

Old 05-19-09, 11:55 PM
Originally Posted by Jerry32 View Post
I replaced the starter rope & the only problem I had was that the cord is a little short. I cut a few times while installing as it frayed before I had a chance to burn ends. I have used a few times just starting without attached to guide rope handle, just leaning down all the way to the base.

Don't know if that has anything to do with my current issue--it's not starting now. I've tried the troubleshooters, and since some of the items looked like original equip. I replaced; the fuel line which looked cracked & old replaced with clear line, the air filter, installed new spark plug--then reset gap to .020 as per instructions for this older mower. Still no start.
Finally I added a teaspoon of fuel in the sparkplug hole, then put spark plug back & it did start for a few seconds then stalled.

Would appreciate ideas for the next step; I guess I might have screwed up when putting back the parts when I replaced the starter cord, I do have another cord which is longer & can install that if that is an issue. I'm not sure what the correct length is for this mower. I know some of the troubleshooters point to the carburetor & don't know if this is applicable but this mower had a new carburetor installed this past April. I've also seen posts that referenced a fuel shutoff valve but don't know if this mower has one, or how it might have got turned off. I'm including a few pics-in progress (or rather withouth progress!) maybe there might be something you can see that might help. Some have parts removed i.e. air filter, cover, etc.
Thanks for your continued help & support--I've been working on this & frustrated & can't wait to actually be able to cut the grass!

all condition turf vac
3 speed rear wheel drive
Serial# 990604FA
Try going to the auto store & getting spray type carb cleaner, valvoline heavy duty carb cleaner is really good. Remove the air filter tie the engine kill lever to the handle with a plastic bag as if it were you holding the lever down to keep the mower running. then spray carb cleaner once in the carb, pull the cord until it starts & quickly go down to the air filter & sppray carb cleaner into the carb. let it rev up then when it starts to cut out spray more carb cleaner & repeat. If that does not work. take the carb off & then take off the bolt at the bottom, hold it sideways & look at how it is put together spray it with carb cleaner then use a small paper clip & poke it through the holes & then blow air through the 3 holes. put it back together & it should be fine.

Last edited by Shadeladie; 05-20-09 at 10:52 AM. Reason: Removed invite to youtube site
Old 05-20-09, 12:34 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
mowerrepairguy, this thread is 2 years old... I'm thinking you missed that part .