Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Unusual condition

AL

05-15-07, 05:59 PM   #1  
Unusual condition

I picked up a murray lawnmower that I thought had a manual starter problem. When I got in the shop, I pulled the starter off, everything to do with the starter seemed fine. I noticed when I backed the brake off, the engine seem to be locked up. I keep trying to turn it back and forth and finally heard it "pop" and then it freed-up. I decided to put it back together and try to crank it. It started right up and I heard the engine make a light "metallic" sound a couple of times. I checked the blade also. After a few seconds it ran quiet and fine. I let it run a long time even cut my whole yard. Anybody run across anything like this before? The en gine is a B&S...m-10M902, t-01212-E1, c-04042155.

Sponsored Links

NY

05-15-07, 06:28 PM   #2  
Sounds like the engine was in the early stages of seizing! How was the oil level prior to servicing? I'll bet it was well low and filthy or amazingly clean and full indicating the owner remembered to change the oil too late but thought..."Eh, what can it hurt now and my mechanic will never know the difference, heh, heh, heh". I'd say you broke free a partially seized rod bearing or magneto end crank bearing.

MI

05-16-07, 09:03 PM   #3  
I had this problem with my grandmas craftman push mower with a 3.8hp techumseh. It was making a horrible metal to metal sound. I dint want to run it and she said mow my yard, well it wasnt my mower so I ran it until it wouldnt start anymore. It had no compression, pulled way to easy. I figures a broken rog but the piston moved so I didnt know what was wrong with it so I pulled it apart. The little plastic piston oil pump had a crack, it split in half so it didnt spray oil. I super glued it together and its still running after about 4 yrs.

NY

05-17-07, 02:08 AM   #4  
Another thought, Jack, check that the brake control cable is making a full pull at the engine end to be sure the brake is releasing fully from the flywheel.

Search this Thread